Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor out of storage, how to...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chebywanna, Aug 1, 2003.

1. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i had a motor sitting for quite some time (2 years?) without turning over once. whats the best way to get it going again, short of taking it apart? for now im planning on pulling the plugs and putting some of that red oil type stuff to let it soke up the rings and stuff (hopefully) and then turning it over a little while without the plugs in.
    oh and an oil change before the spin of course

any other suggestions?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I just did this very thing in my daily driver. I changed all the seals. Only cost like 25 bucks for a gasket set. If you take the intake off you can turn it over and see that all the lifters move up and down as they should as well as rockers and pushrods. Prime the oil pump just before firing. I'm assuming this is a SBC. That is all I did and everything worked out fine.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Hopefully the cylinder walls haven't rusted. If you have time, might want to pull the heads and check that out. If so, might want to do something about that. Maybe try honing them ever so slightly with the pistons still in there (just because pulling the pistons would be a pain). I'm not sure about that though, might be a chance of some shavings getting past the rings. Anyway, check for the rust and however you choose to remedy it is up to you, haha.