Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor prob.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Jul 20, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Alright this only happens when the motor is cold and has been sitting. It'll fire up fine, i let it idle for maybe a min or 2 then i go. when i accelarate it feels like it sluggish and stumbles. (cuts out and makes a poping noise at this point my foot is outa the throttle) after about a mile or two it stops and runs fine.

Now if i accelerate slowly to full throttle it will run fine after about 10 seconds. Could this be that the carb is running rich or what im realy lost.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Assuming you have a fairly sensible cam I'd look at the pump shot first from what you're describing. Depending on what carb you have it may be adjustable or maybe your pumper diaphram is shot?
    Check for spray as you open the throttle.

3. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

My car does the same thing , unless I let it warm up first. I do have a fairly large cam (488 lift/292 dur in a s.b. 289). It's really annoying and a little scary. The only thing I can think of is the fuel not atomizing properly?:dunno:

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

its a stock 350 from what i know, only mods are an edelbrock intake and carb. 1406. they've been on for maybe 1000 miles tops and theyre. What do you mean by pumper diagphram? would that be on the carb or part of my fuel pump? Dont know if this helps but it didnt used to do this, only started bout a month ago. Maybe the fuel filters clogged?:confused:

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On most carbs the accelerater pump has a diaphram with a one way check valve that will squirt extra fuel when you mash the throttle. It's the easiest thing to check, so start there. If you're getting a good shot then move on to something else. What colour are your plugs? Have a look at them then run the truck around the block a few times with a very light throttle so that you're only using the low speed metering circuit, then check your plugs again. If it looks like it's running really lean try fattening up the low speed circuit. Try with just the idle mixture first and if that doesn't help you'll have to start experimenting with needles, springs and jets.
    But before you start all that check your float level.