Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RAY, Jan 3, 2006.

1. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I just found out that the motor in my DD (97 K1500 w/ 5.7 350) is going to need to be rebuilt. :x I was thinking about going with a GM goodwrench crate motor instead of rebuilding it? Has anyone ever had experience with these motors and yanking a motor out of one of these trucks? How tough is it and roughly how long would it take a person with average mechanical skills?
    Thanks,
    Ray

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I think the goodwrench engines are a pretty good choice, and if your useing the correct application you get the warrenty. But search around, there's tons of choices out there. Myself, I avoid the budget priced autozone / csk stuff, no offence to the guy's that run 'em and are doing fine. As for r n r time, I kind'a think it's impossible to determine how long it will take you. I'll say you will probabaly be able to do your next swap in about half the time of your first.

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree, the removal always reveals something that "needs to be done now" and adds to the time involved. GM crate motors are great, great warranty.....2nd hand experience:o . I know guys that swear by parts store motors to though, just depends on how much coin you wanta drop.

4. Hermy13

Hermy13 Registered Member

I recently pulled the 5.7 out of 98 silverado same thing for the most part it took 2 days tog et it all out about 10 hours in all id say be careful not to pull any wires and make sure everythings unhooked all the bolts that go into the tranny are double nutted so be sure to get them all just not the first nut. its pretty straight forward otherwise good luck

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Only thing I could se to be a problem, at least I ran intyo it when changing the intake gaskets on my 97, is Timing has to be st by the computer once I pulled the distributor I had to have the dealership reset it. Unless someone know differant. But unless I get a new truck in the next year or so I'll be doing the same thing:D

6. Hermy13

Hermy13 Registered Member

yea the timings a pain i did mine at school with their computer tho i got mine real close just by sound and it ran fine untill i could get it to school

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ya you need a scanner to set timing . easy to do with scanner tho.

and not a cheep scanner like auto zone crap.