Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor removal

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by RAY, Jan 3, 2006.

1. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I posted this in the garage section, but thought I would also post it here. I just found out that the motor in my DD (97 K1500 w/ 5.7 350) is going to need to be rebuilt. I was thinking about going with a GM goodwrench crate motor instead of rebuilding it? Has anyone ever had experience with these motors and yanking a motor out of one of these trucks? How tough is it and roughly how long would it take a person with average mechanical skills?
    Thanks,
    Ray

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just about the same as the older stuff. not to hard. my area we have a few junk yards. i just saw a 62k mile motor with all stuff just drop in plug fluid it and fire for 600 bucks. try the yards first might find one for around the same price range.

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I installed a GM crate motor into a '97 pickup. Took about 20 shop hours total. I just picked at it a little at a time. It's a pretty straightforward job. Like sweetk30 said, you may want to look into a junkyard motor if you're on a budget. If you plan to keep the truck forever then the crate motor may be the way to go.