Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor ?s and mods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wvk5crawler, Mar 18, 2005.

1. wvk5crawler

wvk5crawler Newbie

I have a 1985 4 door 4X4 1 ton as a parts truck, and I want to pull the motor to build it up to put in the k5 . Well I was wondering if the 1 ton 350's were 4 bolt main or 2. Also could you give me some advice to go about building up a motor for rock crawling and off roadiing:parts to use, things to look out for. I want to go TPI, but if you can convince me otherwise please put your $.2 in. this is my first time building a motor. This is what I had in mind: 383 stroker kit, with TPI, please fill in the blanks.

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i could be wrong but i remember reading a lot of the hard core rock crawler guys were putting in v6's to lighten up the vehicle.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

For what it says you want, it won't matter if you have 2 or 4 bolt mains....

If your heart is set on a 383, then go mild. Otherwise I think a stock rebuild with some kind of fuel injection and lots of gearing options would be optimal....

If not for the fun of building your motor, it is very tough to build one cheaper than some of the crate motors offered by both the General or even a local machine shop....

I can already feel an overcammed crappy idling SBC in your dreams :grin:

4. wvk5crawler

wvk5crawler Newbie

thanks guys!