Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor Specs and Cam choices?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by keith, Nov 29, 2001.

1. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Just wondered what you guys think about this set up. Is the Cam to weak?
    4 bolt main 60 over with 400 crank balanced
    Dart Iron Eagle heads/Crane 1.6 ratio roller rockers
    Flat top pistons
    cast non egr Camero intake
    MSD box/coil & MSD Pro Billit Distributor
    K&N 5"x14" filter
    Hooker Competion headers
    Commander 950 fuel injection
    The cam is the Comp 4x4 12-235-2 210 intake and 218 exhaust .447" and .462"

Is that to mild of a cam ?

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Keith, actually sounds like a nice combo. The cam is rather mild, but if should give good torque, and the 1.6 rockers will provide a tad more lift. This should make a good smooth motor for low RPM power and good ole' chuggin.
    Have fun, and let us know how you like it

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, 3.73's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If youre planning that engine for a Blazer, that's the largest cam I'd go. We need good low-end torque, and more than that would give you good mid range with less low-end. Of course if you have 4.56 gears and 31" tires, you'll definitely need a larger cam[​IMG].

That's my opinion.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Oh yea, 4:56 gears and 38's. And that motor is in my Blazer now. I just wondered about the cam.

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Hi Keith, I bought the differential covers from you. Anyway I am almost running the same motor as you listed but I am running a 12-238-2 Extream Energy Comp Cam. This one seems also kinda small but I am running 1.5 roller rockers. I think with you running the 1.6 rockers it might be ok. I am going to switch to a set of 1.6 to see if I can get a little more out of this set up. The best thing I did was to have the distributor degreed and I port matched and pocket ported the World S/R torquer heads i bought. See if you can find someone to degree the dist. It seemed to really help with the torque curve. Also is that fuel injection unit 950 CFM or 750 CFM? I know a buddy that is running a 950 unit on his big block and it is almost too big. Maybe look at the 750 cfm unit. Also he has had one controller already go bad, It was under warranty but he is kinda leery of the unit. He is looking at going with a Edelbrock unit and dumping the Holley unit. I have heard more people having problems with them but have heard of no problems with the Edelbrock unit. Look at Tuned Port injection, that is a killer system, Chevy used them for many years and the system was very reliable and parts are easy to get, just as close as your local parts house or chevy dealer. Later Jeff

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Currently the initial timing is at 8 and the distributor is 25. MSD has a set up that allows you to put the exact number you want. So my total timing is 33 degrees. Thats why I have that Distributor on the 4 sale page. I need the late model style to advance and retard the timing with the computer. And yes it is a 950cfm. Remember this unit is completely programed from the ground up. although they do give some base maps to get you started.