Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor swap, 91 GMC C1500- 89 GMC K2500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Jul 24, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok heres the plan, my 89 GMC suburban and this little GMC commuter truck have the same engine, 5.7l TBIs. the one in the sub goes through 1.5qts of 15-40 a week. the C1500 doesnot go through any oil. the suburban is cool and fun to drive, the C1500 is not. so im thinkin i can drive this C1500 back to vegas and swap engines, and drive my sub back to phx. the bell housing bolt pattern is the same, the motor mounts are the same i think. the differences are the pickup has a 700r4 and the sub has a th400. i kno the pattern is the same, but wat about the TBI units, dealing with the TV cable and all?

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just use the engine from the intake down. You will propbably have to swap oil pans as well. Use all of the Burbs TBI stuff and dont worry about the rest. Also swap out the flex plates because a 700r4 and th400 sometimes are different.

Dan

3. muddysub

ok about the intakes, are the manifolds the same or do i have to change them out? and the oil pans, will they be different? are the bolt patterns on the end of the crank for the flexplate the same?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Intakes are the same. Throttle bracket will be different for the 700R4 equipped truck but it doesn't matter because you don't have a TV cable to deal with having a TH 400. Intakes are the same, no sense in taking the intake off your motor. Just swap what's necessary over.

Oil pans are all the same for all 86-95 SBCs.

Flexplate mounting pattern is just like the oil pan, all are the same from 86-95.

5. muddysub

ok wat about the plate to the torque converter bolt pattern? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

ps thanks

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pull them and looking it won't be hard to change flexplate if you have to. It won't derail the whole project if you pull the sub motor and the 1500 motor and realize you have to swap flexplates.

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

30 seconds with an impact. Pull 6 bolts, put old one one new motor. Done.

Dan

8. muddysub

yea itll go pretty fast. im gonna talk to my uncle tomorrow about it (the pickup is his truck) ive put a $1000 tranny in it and its gettin all new tires tomorrow, and if he lets me use the engine til im done with UTI, next nov, ill like rebuild it or somethin for him.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Your going to UTI? Mind dropping me a PM I would like to talk to you about that.