Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor swap complete... the first starting attempt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 6, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I didn't get to turn the motor over for more than about 3 or 4 seconds, because my battery was low. I've got it charging now, and will attempt it again tomorrow. For the few seconds it was turning over, it was making some kinda odd noise, or at least something I don't think I ever really heard before. It was coming from the flexplate/starter area I think. I wish I knew how to describe it, but I don't.. it was like a metalic straning, grunting noise, I guess you could call it.. I really wish I had somebody around here that knew what they were doing to listen to it. I'm gonna try it again tomrrow... in the mean time, does anyone have any idea what's causing this noise? perhaps I did something wrong when I put the starter on??
    thanks,
    James

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Take your inspection cover off and see if anything is rubbing. Make sure the starter is lined up correctly. Make sure your flexplate/converter bolts are in right and tight.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you seat your converter all the way?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try it with the new/recharged battery before you start pulling it apart. If you get the same noise straight away then stop and investigate.
    Turning a motor over with a low battery puts a strain on all parts involved. A rebuilt motor is tough on the starter system anyway, then making it turn it over slow is even harder. Get it to spin up fast with the recharged battery and see how it sounds.
    Good luck.

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Wait till you try it with a strong battery. Chevy's can sometimes need shims to get the starter in the righ spot. Heres something unrelated... I'm just gonna go ahead n ask this... did you prime the oil pump to make sure everything is lubed?

6. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i think i had the same weird noise. it would catch a little then free wheel.. flex plate was fine and the gear in the starter was fine.. i took off the starter and part of the cast houseing was cracked off. so the starter was moving everytime i cranked and back in place when not cranking. replaced the starter and it was perfect.

7. 78Suburban

If I'm lucky it was just the low battery causing the funny noise. I am really, really hoping that I didn't bend/warp my flexplate. The more I think about it, the more I realize this could be a posiblity, because when I was installing the engine, it wanted to go down at a funny angle and make the flexplate hit the bellhousing/ torque converter. Good grief I don't wanna have to change that thing out.. Has anybody here ever been goofy enough to accidently do that, or stupid enough to actually admit it :doah: ? Yeah I suck.. If Mr. Bean tried to work on a truck, he would be like me. Tomorrow will tell the whole story, I guess I can take the dust cover off and watch as the engine turns over.. I'm thinking this very well maybe be the problem... Yeah, my day is ruined.
    thanks,
    James

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

When I first got my K5 from the previous owner, it would make an awful racket coming from the flywheel area when I cranked it over. Turns out the starter wasnt shimmed correctly. Use a 1/8" drill bit as a guage and put it between the flexplate gear and starter shaft. Yo need that 1/8" no more, no less. If it is too far, shim the outboard side, if it is too close, shim the inboard side.

9. 78Suburban

thank you muddytazz!!

On an instant messenger conversation, Muddytazz has brought it to my attention that flexplates are made of steel that will break before it bends. This makes me feel ALOT better, and puts my mind at some ease.. He also said that a low battery would cause the starter to make the noise I described. So now I have an optimistic outlook for tomorrow, and can actually get to sleep tonight :bow: thank you!
    thanks,
    James