Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor swap Part II

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, May 30, 2004.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I'm swapping in a 350 motor from a 69 station wagon into my 82 blazer. My question is should i keep the old type distributer or put my more modern distributer on? Is there any gains either way? My other question is will the exhaust manifolds from the current 305 fit onto the 350? I know they will be smaller but they shouldn't hurt performance that much, right? Sorry for the long questions. TIA

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Motor swap

Use the electronic dist, by all means. Exhaust manifold will fit fine.

3. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

Thank you. Will i have to do anything tricky to hook up the electronic distributor on the old motor?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Thank you. Will i have to do anything tricky to hook up the electronic distributor on the old motor?

[/ QUOTE ]Shouldn't, it should just drop right in like how it came out of the 305. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

There are some vaccum hoses on the 305 distributor that i didn't see on the other one. Maybe i just missed them.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just use the red (hot) wire to the old (points) on the new one. Pay attention to where the rrotor button is pointing when you swap. The oil pump slot is aggravating to line up sometimes.

7. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You should run a new 12 gauge wire to the HEI distributor from the fuse box,there are usually a few empty spots in there for accesories,just make sure it only gets power in the "key on"position with a test light.HEI requires a full 12 volt source to work properly,and the original wire to the points is a resistance wire,wont let enough current flow for optimun spark performance. Your exhaust manifolds may or may not work,some 305's have only 5 bolts instead of six(reason unknown),and they have many different angles on the exhaust pipe flange,some have 2 bolt flanges and sit above the spark plugs(truck ones sit below the plugs)and some use donut gaskets on one side or both,some have a metal flare cast into the manifold instead of using the dougnut gasket..Confused yet?!It only took me five tries to get the right y pipe for a 75 K5 I owned,because I pirated my friends 78 manifolds when he put headers on his truck! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well the ride hs is puting the motor in is the one with the HEI distributor so all the wiring should be there. If he has ESC(I'm not sure if 82 would) I'd pirate a non ESC unit. My 84 had ESC and luckily my house is a SBC junkyard so I have a few non ESC distributors sitting around. From there it was just ripping that little box out from under the dash and satisfyingly trashing it.

10. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

It does have esc, is there any gains from trashing it? The truck is already very illegal in the emissions department so that's not a worry.

11. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

Now that you have answered my last questions, heres a new one. The starter on the donor has a different bolt pattern than any gm starter i've seen. All that i know about the motor is that it was originally a crate motor for a mid 80's truck. Why is the starter different? Was there a year when the starters became different or is it because it is on an old station wagon? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

whats the bolt pattern? I've only seen to patterns, L shaped and straight one. All 5 GM trucks I have owned had the L shaped one or offset one. Oldest one being 84 with a 70 something motor. As for removing the ESC, it is up to you. If it decides that something is wrong it can screw with your timing and hurt performance. Thats why I removed it, I wasn't going to have it deciding there was something wrong with my 355. Sure it could save it if I were stupid and had too much compression and not enough fuel, but I don't. 305s it makes sense, the compression and pension for knocking almost requires ESC.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I re-read his post /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and yes,if he's putting in an early motor to a later truck that had HEI he is all set,except for the ESC,I would put a regular HEI in it.As for his starter,they had 3 different noses for automatic trannys back then,the usual "offset"bolt pattern for the 168 tooth flexplate,the "straight across"bolt pattern for the 153 tooth flexplate(most older 283,307,and vehicles with powerglide trannys)and a real weird one I've run into on late 60's and early 70's motors,that had 3 bolts,like a combo of both styles,most of this style had a cast iron nose instead of die cast aluminum,but I've seen both. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

The wierd pattern is the straight across, all the other ones i've seen have been offset. Will that starter work with my flywheel? So would i have to get a whole new distributor to get rid of the esc? I don't have enough money to do that right now. Maybe one day when i pay off the motor and fix some other little things.