Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor swappers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, I know some of you have pulled out good running stock small blocks to make room for a more powerfull motor. So, what have you done with that good motor ??? My plans ?? I want a 454 in my K5. I'll save my stock 400 sbc for a El Camino I plan on getting sometime in the next few years. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i took out the stock tired motor rebuilt in and got the s10 ready for it then i bought my k20 and blew the motor up /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

9 out of 10 there was no "GOOD" good left in the motor /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I gave it away, the whole 9 yards.
    I was going to drop in the 350 I have sittin in the shed but scored a brandy new one for $400.
    So that one will prolly get built and dropped into the 73.
    Then I will just have 2 BBC's sittin the shed to figure out what to do with.
    That 72 Elco that I been thinkin about with no engine or tranny for $300 seems like a good canidate for a Big Block.
    I do have a spare T400 that would be a good match.
    Ahh hell it gives me something to think about on that hour drive to work. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Soon after I pulled my 307 to replace it with the 454 a friend was helping me and he had a friend who was down on his luck vehicle wise so I gave him the 307 complete - I wasn't going to use it, and I knew that guy did need it.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I sold my old 350 with 80,000 miles on it for $150 and a box of good cigars. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Mine's sitting in the bed of my truck, someday it will go in NITRO's car.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hmmmm, good question?
    I don't have a home for the 350 I am pulling out in a couple weeks...hmmmmmm, I'm sure someone will need it?

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    When I pulled a good 350 out of a van (I was after the tranny) I sold it to a friend for 50 bucks, a few odds and ends parts that I needed, and his set of hands in pulling it out. That motor donated many parts to a buildup that he was doing.... but then one day while it was sitting in a tire in the back of his 86 longbed 2wd he slammed the brakes to avoid a collision and it flew forward and smashed the box into the back of the cab. The block was never seen again /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I blew the old motor. Was too far gone for a rebuild. I did save the heads as they were good though.

11. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

The good running oil leaking 307 out of the camaro got put onto an engine stand, will be keeping it as its the #'s matching motor out of my 70.

The 83's original 305 pulled out and replaced with a 472 Caddy got put into a 75 swb which nicely donated its lift, axles, and tires which got sold off soon after.

Most of my other swaps were because of there not being any good really left in them and the need for "More Power" *insert Tim Allen grunt here*

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... Ive swapped motors into rigs I was selling/getting rid of, swapped motors into other rigs I was keeping (which may or may not have been switched around again later on), or sometimes I've sold a motor or traded them off.

If you're not desperate for cash and don't need to sell it, and you know the history of the motor, it'd be a good one to keep for later on like you're thinking.

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Pulled out my TBI 350 for a TBI 454...I am using the 350 block to build a Twin Turbo 355 for my 1971 C10 shortwide. I am not about to put a blower on it... EVERYBODY and their mom has a blower on a SBC or a BBC. Turbo's are MUCH more unique (though much more $$$$) and the power potential is INSANE...

Chris