Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor, Tranny, diff. questions.... 71K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by forrest7, Aug 3, 2003.

1. forrest7

forrest7 Registered Member

I'm swapping out most of my drivetrain and have a few questions.

1) I'm getting a 383 Stroker motor with over 450lbs of torque.. Should I get a TH400? If so, do I need an special adaptors for the tranny-transfer case connection? Are there bigger splines I should upgrade to?

2) I want to get a Dana 60 front and GM Corp 14 blt. for the rear. Are there any specifics I should look for?

3) Where should I get a new Tranny from? Do you know of a place where I can get my 205 rebuilt? Where should I order the parts from?

Thanks in advance...

Forrest

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

1) If you want a TH400... your best bet would be to find a TH400/205 complete... The th400 version 205's and adapter are hard to find.
    IF you were set on doing this you could buy the larger input bearing and 32 spline input shaft to replace your 27 spline, completely dissasemble the 205 and have the case bored for the larger input bearing... all adds up to around $300 i believe. Then there's no going back to the th350.
    I'd run the Th350 until you burn it up. You can build a th350 to handle that, so a Th400 isn't a must.

2)D60's are a direct bolt in for all years... For 69-72 K5's you'll want to find a 1-ton 14ff rear end out of a 4x4 and it will be a direct bolt in... you will not have to move the spring perches or shock mounts...
    If you get a 3/4 ton rear, you will have to cut off and weld on some new spring perches because they are a bolt in for '73 up k5's. If you get a rear out of a 2wd, the shock mounts will be about 2" lower, so you will have to cut those and weld some new ones higher where they need to go.

3) 205's are pretty bombproof... It probably doesn't need a rebuild, just inspect it.... I'd order the gasket kit for about $30 and re seal the t-case so you won't have leaks.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. forrest7

forrest7 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Ryan... I really appreciate the time.

Forrest