Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MOTOR/TRANNY EXPERTS...PLEASE HELP..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

First here are the specs...
    400 sbs bored 30 over.
    5.7 rods with trw pistons
    comp 274 extreme energy cam
    world products sr torker 202 heads
    edelbrock performer rpm intake
    yada...yada.... yada...
    here is the problem... I got my motor hot and lost oil pressure. It wasn't knocking, but upon tearing it down, I noticed the thrust washer/bearing was almost totally gone, as in wore down in a big way. When I took it back to the machine shop, they said it is a tranny or torque convertor problem. Is this true? the tranny is a freshly rebuilt 700r4 and a new hd convertor. Anything is possible, but could they be trying to cover up a mistake in machine work? If not, what could be wrong with the tranny or convertor. The napa machine shop
    said the only way this could happen is by the tranny or convertor pushing forward on the crank. This motor has only 1,000 or so miles on it. thanks for the help everyone, Brian

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like they are trying to dodge the warranty deal!!! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Question ..... did you install the harmonic damper on the engine ? If you did , did you use a installer or pound it on ?If you installed it by pounding it on ...it will take out the thrust washer

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. maybe its cause you kept burnin tires with the camper on and the trailer hooked up! J/K! what a bummer! you had problems with napa from the start. will be hard to prove fault sense they didn't assemble it. good luck.

p.s. e mail me about the sand drags

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Which side of the thrust surface is gone? If its the back side, then it could be a converter problem, as in if the converter "ballooned" it will place too much pressure on the rear of the thrust, causing premature wear. There really isn't anything you can do to screw up a thrust surface through machining the block, as typically nothing needs to be done in that area. I don't believe its the engine builders fault. I would look to your converter. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

ken

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I have heard that can happen. Resticted cooler lines can do it I been told. Builds a lot of pressure in the converter and tries to push it off the stator. Possible that the converter was not engaged properly on the tranny.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Happy reading.

http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Did you check the crankshaft endplay before installing the engine? Years ago I bought a short block from RHS and they inculded very explicit instructions on how to check the end play both before and after the tranny and torque converter were bolted up. If the endplay was less afterwards, then something was wrong. Running the engine without enough endplay will wipe out that thrust bearing in short order. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That is some good info. I had to save that page.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint