Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor/tranny knock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85blzr, Sep 10, 2002.

1. 85blzr

85blzr Newbie

i just installed a 350 engine my brother and i rebuilt and the damn thing is knocking.i pulled it to look at the flex plate and it was cracked so i threw another on.still knocks.im almost positive there no errors in the buildup.a buddy thinks maybe the tourqe converter might not have been all the way on the tranny input shaft when i fired it. has anyone seen or heard of that happening?the sound travels throughout the bottom end....

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Torque converter bushing in the end of the crank?

3. 85blzr

85blzr Newbie

is there one?its a 700 tranny.it seems to me that if the flexplate is bolted to crank and the tourqe converter,it would have to be in the right location.here's another question,do the small arrows on top of the pistons have to point in the same direction, or do they just all need to be on the front side of the piston(thrust side)? i might be pooched. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

What kind of oil pressure do you have. When does the knock happen. Does it do it only happen when you do a cold start. Do you have to rev it to get it to knock and the knock fades out after you rap it enough. Does it have to be in gear to knock?

When you install the torque convertor, turn it while pushing back. The convertor should slide all the way back and you won't be able to slip your fingers behind it if try that from beneath. Once its that far, then you can pull it forward to the flex plate.

Whats the story on the rebuild? What did you do to the crank, what size bearings, new cam bearings? etc.

Tons of questions I know but the more specific, the better.

5. 85blzr

85blzr Newbie

thanks for your response.the knock can be heard at all rpms,though it does become harder to hear the more i get on the gas. i havent even tried to throw it in gear(my rig is in a buddys garage across the city)that should answer my tourqe converter question right there when i do.oil pressure is killer,high volume pump maxed out the stock gauge.ok the crank is new,rods recond.,all bearings replaced (main,con. rod,and cam)stock cam,fresh heads.pistons 30 over.im going over there tommorow night to see whats up.thanks.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The arrows on the top of the pistons are supposed to point toward the front of the block, where the timing chain mounts to. I have seen the torque converter knock at idle if the incorrect/non exsistant bushing is in place. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I could not say for certain that is your noise, but...............

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

What about timing chain and pushrods? My 350 was knocking before I rebuilt it. Only thing I really found was a really loose timing chain and a pushrod that was chewed up on the end. It would only knock when it wasnt under heavy load; it wasnt as noticable if I was accelerating or deccelerating pretty hard.

You might also try running it without the torque converter bolted on, this will atleast narrow down your problem some.

8. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ok, first, 700 has no bushings, and did you use the same crank and just get it machined? if not make sure it FITS into the crank, if it dont you may be bow-ing it and breaking it.

YES all arrows must go the same way or you will have a alignbore problem possibly, you may have allready wasted a bearing or two. was it knocking b4? did you check thrust? and make sure the front pump in that 700 isnt knocking, ive heard a few sound like a rod. and last, is a torque conv.. bolt tapping somewhere? and then causing a break?

hope it helps....

9. 85blzr

85blzr Newbie

all it was,the flat part of the windage tray inside the oil pan had come loose and a con rod bolt was snagging on it.sometimes its just the little shi*t. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif the cracked flex plate was just a little freakish i guess.need to settle down a little when i set the mill next time.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

COOL! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif