Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor-vated opinions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by DieselBurb, Jun 10, 2003.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Which would ya'll do, keep my 6.2 and fix the head gasket and the broken intake /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, or drop in a big block?

Opinions? Comments?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can tell ya for sure which one will cost ya less! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6.2's are pretty weak. You WILL feel a big difference in acceleration if you swap to a big block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif However, you will also feel a big difference in your wallet during refueling stops as well. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'd fix the 6.2L.... I jumped off the 8-10mpg bandwagon several months ago.

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Mike

Assuming you dont have a big block just sitting around, you must be more than prepared to shell out some $$$ for your /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif.

If that's the case, why not repair the existing Diesel and look into adding some power, say a BANKS TURBO KIT! I dont know exactly how much that might cost, but I bet you could find a lotta ways to improve power for way less than the initial cost of a big block and the incremental costs of fuel. You could probably find a way to build up your diesel into something that would be pretty competitive with a big block and justify that cost in fuel savings alone! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

On another note, you might look at this as an opportunity rather than some less positive /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif #(*$@#$!

Ben

5. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input.

I think I will probably fix the boat anchor instead of swapping. It's a good engine, so I guess I'll be better off replacing the intake and cylinder head.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Love my 454 right up till I have to feed it. 30 Gallons a week gets expensive.

I made a choice to go with the 454. I don't care for the GM deisels pre the Duramax. I needed a heavy hauler to pull our travel trailer. Need to be family friendly so Burb is what seemed to make the most sense. Wanted to pay cash so that put me well before the Durmax.