Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor won't start. timing backwards?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Jul 20, 2006.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i have fuel, spark, air, and it cranks fine, but i cannot get my engine to start. i'm down to thinking i accidentally have it 180 degrees out, so it's firing on the exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke. any other ideas before i start messing with it? any tricks for making sure that's the problem?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The trick to making sure that is the problem is to make sure you are actually on TDC for the compression stroke. If it were out 180 deg. it would probably backfire through the carb. Check/set the timing again, it probably is your problem even if you aren't 180 deg. out.

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

right, but with the valve covers and timing cover on, is there another way to make sure it's on the compression stroke?

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Pull the #1 spark plug and put your finger over the hole while you turn the engine over. When it is on the compression stroke you will feel pressure. Turn it over until the timing mark lines up and you should be good to go.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

like he said..

Just keep a watchfull eye on that #1 plug wire!---more than once when doing this,I've had it drop onto my hand while its cranking over!--it'll light up your life!..especially if it has HEI!!.:eek1: :doah: :mad:

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

oh yeah, i've heard about the puff method. totally forgot about it, though. i'll blame the memory lapse on my long hours of work (so tired of paperwork) and short hours of sleep. i can't forget about the plug wire, though. #4 "bit" me pretty well, last night. but at least i confirmed that it's getting spark.

thanks

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

well, i got it to sputter. that's better than nothing. haynes says 8* btdc to run, so it's too retarded, right now, and adjusting the dizzy isn't helping enough. i guess i'll just play with bumping the starter and land it as close as possible.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what is this on? 4* BTDC is factory spec, or was on my 84. TBI MUST be 0*. same with Vortec.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had been thinking this alot lately... People really need to remember to give the vitals when asking questions.... 1/2 the time I have to go digging through there profile to find out, if its even in there... Work, the poster should be doing, not the people helping...

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

good point, sorry.

it's a 1982 k5. reman 350, quadrajet, hei.

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

no need to apologize, just something I've noticed alot lately..

I would start from scratch if your questioning the dizzy... You can check and relace it without pulling it if need be..

Pull the d side valve cover. turn over till the intake valve opens then closes, then bring the timing mark up to tdc. check your rotor position and lace #1 from that point..