Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Beth, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Beth

Beth Registered Member

Hello! I have a 81 K5. Last week the motor locked up on it. I still owe $2500 on the truck. My family says that it is not worth it to try and fix it. The back window is broken. The front windshield is cracked. I need new tires. I understand that it will cost a lot of money to fix these problems. Money is tight for me, but I do have another vehicle to drive until my truck is fixed. Does anyone think that it is worth the money to fix it? This is the first problem that I have had with the truck.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is up to you. If you like the truck then it is worth it to fix it.........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Of course it's worth fixing, IT'S A K5!! [​IMG]

Just imagine all the expenses some cheap import car would have added up in 20 years, and compare that to all the "trouble" on your K5 [​IMG].

Cracked windshields are not a vehicle's fault, so they can't be blamed on the K5. Every car needs tires once in a while as well, so no blame here either. How did you get the motor to lock up?

Now imagine you go ahead and get another vehicle. If it's a used one, unless it's another K5 (or chevy truck), you'll risk more expenses. You have no idea how a used car had been mantained and what expenses are just around the corner. If it's a new one, just compare the cost to fix your Blazer to a new car (or especially a new "SUV"). I'm sure it's about 10 times more.

To top it all, just read your last sentence "This is the first problem that I have had with the truck". What does that tell you?

You could even get away by finding a running 350 and install it without a rebuild and still get thousands of miles out of it.

This is just my opinion. Good luck.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Beth, it really doesn't matter what WE think. What's important is if YOU think its worth it. Ask yourself what you are planning on doing with the truck, how long you plan on keeping it, will it be a daily-driver? Personally, I think I paid way too much for my truck just to have stripped it down and re-do it entirely, but I think it was very much worth it--no matter what my family or friends thought. If you plan on keeping it, do as much work as you can to it yourself, that way you learn and can say you built it yourself while at the same time save money. I LOVE my truck. Hope this helps, just my .02.

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've owned a countless chevy car and truck. Fixing a chevy engine is probably the least expensive engine of any car or truck that fails. The parts are inexpensive and in abundance, the engineering of the motor allows for ease of repair and they tend to last a long time. If you like the truck, fix the motor. Windshields are a dime a dozen and can be repaced inexpensively if your near any major city. Good luck!

What, Me Worry?

6. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Beth,

Sorry about your ride, but my rationale is that as I fix things on my truck, I know that repair is behind me and I have learned something more about my vehicle. I know my Blazer better than any other vehicle I've owned and there's a lot of comfort in that.

I bet you can find 1/2 a dozed 350s for sale on eBay in your vicinity. Also my favorite publication is the Want Advertiser! You can often find all kinds of used Chevy parts and lots used tires cheap.

I suppose there are pros and cons of keeping the K5 and since your family will probably supply plenty of cons, I'll stick to the pros:
    -parts are readily available
    -the knowledge on this list is absolutely priceless
    -K5s are about as fun to drive and own as anything going.
    -you have a daily driver and the luxury of time to repair
    -you'll take a bath on the thing if you try to unload it with a seized motor (well the converse is a pro anyway:-) A mistake I made as a foolish yougster with the first truck I ever owned

Good luck,

John

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well I had been battling that question when I looked at my truck... well whether to keep it or sell it and decided to keep it. It doesn't matter what you own these days, it will need repairs. A decent vehicle is gonna cost more then a motor and fix a few items on your truck. I was pondering selling mine for a shortbox pickup, but when I got around to looking I found they are either way overpriced or a total hunk of rust. My only real option if I sold it was to get a Ford pickup... and uh err... well then I thought you wanted away from repairs [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. herauf

herauf Registered Member

beth,

fix the k5. i know exactly what u r going through right now. my baby sits parked outside my window (as it has for 8 months) waiting for me to put the few last things together on her. i have learned so much about mechanics, as well as life while fixing it. and though she needs new tires that i can't afford also (not to mention new paint, body lift, new headlights, etc.) i am going to be on top of the world when i get to drive away in her.... fix the k5, even if its just to prove you can.

ryan.

9. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

ARE YOU SHURE ITS LOCKED UP ? DID YOU TRY TURNING THE ENGINE OVER WITH A BREAKER BAR ON THE CRANK?
    DID IT OVER HEAT,RUN OUT OF OIL? ALL OF THIS WILL HELP FIGURE OUT THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GO.

LOWRIDERS ARE FOR GUYS THAT CANT GET IT UP!!

10. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

SELL IT !!! ... I'll start the bidding at $50 [​IMG][​IMG]
    J/K ... tell us how it seized up and maybe we can tell you an easy and cheap solution to your problem. Did a mechanic tell you this in the hopes that he'll make a quick buck off of you? Personally, when my engine goes out I'm going to replace it. It's much cheaper than buying a new vehicle.