Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Jan 27, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok i have a question, i have a 3800 v6, motor tranny and exhaust, computer, pedal everything out of a 2000 camaro, 35000 miles, is this a good motor? worth anything? no torque im sure, but what about everyday driving? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

220hp or so motor, be good in an S-10 or something $1500-2000 i would say it would cost at a yard

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That would be pretty slick in a Vega /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It'd work good in a lite car. I think something like a Chevette, or a GEO. Even a Tracker. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe you could sell it? Get a vortec 350 maybe.

6. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Sell it to a Jeeper who's into flatfenders. I have a 1954 CJ3B that would be a prime candidate for an engine like that. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

S-10 Blazer Daily driver?????? those motors are suppoed to be very reliable Same block as the Buick Grand Nationals (Turbo)I think and the pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged) I think the version you have is rated at 220HP /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 3800 is a very good motor. In my opinion it is the best V6 ever made. It (The Block) has been made by Gm since the mid 60s. It is the old Buick/Olds 231 cid engine that people have been using in jeeps(jeep bought the design from GM in the middle 60s) for many years. It was also a good marine engine because it was small, light, and developed a lot of torque. A lot of boats in the 60s and 70s ran them.
    The specs are HP 200 @4800 torque 225 @ 3200 RPM the engines are under rated by GM(insurance reasons?). The redline is 6K on these engines and they pull all the way up there.( I have 2 cars with 3800s) Put in a chip and good intake/exhaust and they will really move.
    Just for comparison.
    The 4.3 votec GM uses in trucks puts out 200 Hp @4400 and 255 lbs @2800
    Not a whole lot of diference between the 2.
    I dont know what you are thinking of putting it in. This engine is basicly designed for cars under 4K pounds. So if its a K5 you are thinking of, you will need some lower gears like 4.10s so you can keep it in its power band to get its best performance. It will be no power house. But It might be interesting to see what kind of gas milage you get out of it.
    My Monte Carlo SS gets around 30 mpg on the freeway. it weighs 3306 lbs. I think my blazer weighs around 5K.