Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motorcycle frame jig.. finished

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by camiswelding, May 1, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Finally finished my frame jig for building scoots.. this summer Im going to build a vanguard power scooter.... then maybe an electric mtorcycle

jig is 8 feet long.. fully adjustable for and aft, up and down.. center section is not shown.. its bike width specific and Im waiting on a frame design first... I have about 300 in it and maybe 25 hours... not including a couple learning mill technique.. same one sells for 1300 on ebay.. its ron covells design.. famous california metal craftsman

pics!!!

cam

frame jig 1.JPG

frame jig 2.JPG

frame jig neck detail.JPG

frame jig rear axle detail.JPG

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Looks good Cam.

But I must say I am more impressed with you driveway and it's view. WOW!!!:bow:

3. camiswelding

its all nice and green here right now..and there are wildflowers all over our 30 acres... in two months it will be brown and burned out... and then we have to contend with forest fires and idiots from down south using the lake like a trash can...
    oh well..its Kalifornia

cam

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Brown in 2 months? I thought it stayed green all year up there. I was planning a trip up to Shasta for next summer but if it's gonna be brown what's the point?:wink1:

Back to the topic. Nice RACK!!:D

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Looks great... But I would read up on building and registering custom bikes. Your only allowed to register one custom bike in your name! I don't know about scouters but may want to do some more checking into it before you go to far.... One of the ways around it is if you are buying a pre registered bike and chopping the frame and building from the pre existing bike.

Here is some info on it....
    1) As of Jan. 1st 2006 will only be allowed to build ONE custom motorcycle in their lifetime that is not E.P.A./D.O.T. certified.

2) If you have a "custom built motorcycle" titled/registered before
    Dec. 31st 2005 it will be grandfathered and will not count against you as your 1 in your lifetime.

3) If you sell, wreck, or lose your custom built bike (grandfathered or your one in a lifetime) due to accident, theft or anything.

4) Custom Shops, Professional Bike Builders, legitimate builders can build 24 bikes a year. Here's the kicker… you can't ride them anywhere except from your home to a legitimate "show" and straight back home. If you get caught "cruising" on your CM stamped bike, it is gone!!!

5) Any bike that is not a Manufactured Vehicle, 100% D.O.T. compliant with title, will not be available except for the 1 in your lifetime. But there is a catch.

6) Within 5 years all motors must be fuel injected, E.P.A. compliant, no exhaust will be allowed that are not E.P.A. approved and NO MODIFYING PARTS to carburetion, air cleaners, custom exhaust will be allowed to be used if it alters the exhaust or emissions of a manufactured vehicle or on "custom built bikes".

7) If you build an Non-E.P.A./D.O.T. compliant bike and then you die, your estate cannot even sell your bike for .5 years!

6. camiswelding

I knew cali was getting stricter.. but is that a dot law?
    I have a friend with a shop and a manufacturer license////
    Im interested in your source and learning more about this

cam

7. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

cmoe...your information makes me sad.. i would like to build my own bike even if it means to use an existing one.. but now all taht stuff scares me...is that just az or cali too(anybody know)

i really want a old school bobber w/ side shifter and no front break...mmmmm
    (my mom's blue scooter doesnt get me laid):D :pimp:

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

electric motor probably wouldnt fall in that category.

how big a motor are we talking?

less than 5 hp dont have to be registered do they?

9. camiswelding

some of the latest etec motors are 15 hp... problem is they are spendy with controllers and have limited ranges... less than 25 miles at full speeds... (60-70 depending on tranny setup)...

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It started in CA. but it's gone Fed.... Every street legal vehicle (anything your planning on driving on the roads) needs to be registed.

I've talked to some of the bike builders I know here in Arizona and they all know and are working out what they are going to do... All new bikes are going to have CAT soon... What is going on is the goverment want money from all these custom bike builders. The goverment want them to build a bike, give them $250,000 (I think that was what I was told), Let the goverment look over the bike to make sure they approve it's safe (May take years to finish this part). If approved than you can produce this product.

If you want a bober, go buy yourself a manufactured bike (what ever brand you like, HD, trumph, Honda, ext.). and build it... These laws are all on NEW CUSTOM motorcycles! If you buy a manufactured bike you can customize it how ever you want as long as you keep it up to emission standards of time of original manufacture.

I found this information that I originally posted on the web by doing a search.... I didn't save where I found it....

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hey cam, will you build me a sweet ride?
    [​IMG]

12. camiswelding

that thing is cool,,it needs a rifle rack...... I was thinking something more like this>>>>>>>>

... you know what you need to do before I can start building anything :-)

min chop1.jpg

sm_12090004.jpg

leftside.jpg

yoda.jpg

13. camiswelding

thanks moe... Ill talk to the rat rod guys here... I wouldnt be surprised at all if the motorcycle big 5 or 6 also want to control the market....

govt certainly takes the fun outta life... Ill be doing some more research on this...
    cali bikes already have the cats and smog... its just a question of time until they work out the smog tests

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

2007 all motorcycles have to have a CAT and FI.....