Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motorcycle Helmets

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nonesuch, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

After reading up about Larry and somebody's remark about helmets, I was curious how others feel about them?

I am on the fence when it comes to wearing a helmet. In a high speed crash, you will get hurt or killed no matter what. In a low speed crash, you may get hurt, you may not.

My thoughts are this: if in a high speed crash, you could very likely become a vegtable if wearing a helmet(brain bucket) where as if you weren't you most likely would die. In a low speed crash, you could easily be saved by the helmet and survive with scratches and broken bones. That is why sometimes I wear them sometimes I don't /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I would rather be dead than a drooling, helpless, mumbling freak show. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

For me I wear them whenever I ride, and I'd make my kids do the same.
    But I think it should be up the rider whether they do or not.
    I do like how they do in here in Ohio, where first year riders have to no matter what (that way you can usually know who's a novice on the bike).
    But beyond that I believe it should be up to the individual.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I view motorcycle helmets the same way I view seat belts.....in my opinion it should be mandatory for children under the age of 18. It should be the citizens choice after the age of 18 and there should be no law regulating their uses after 18.

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I think all saftey regulations imposed on an individual person that will not affect another individual with consequences of said persons actions are retarded. Let us ride without helmets or drive without seatbelts. I think of it as population control. The government thinks of it as lost tax revenue.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would never wear a helmet if I was riding a motorcycle.

Then again, I can't even hold one up with my knee all messed up, so I'll just stick to trucks.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a firm beliver in; "Let those who ride, decide" . /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

give me a full-face Snell/DOT approved helmet any/every day. I dont need my sons growing up without a father... but at the same time I still want to ride.

Honestly, I would prefer to ride without a helmet but until every car/truck/automobile driver on the planet takes the motorcycle safety course and learns first hand how vulnerable bikers are on thier horses forget it.

once you learn how vulnerable you are, you start paying better attention to the bikes around you.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i was i a motorcycle accident, if i wasn't wearing a helmet, i would not have a face. i choose to wear one, and always will, but im not gonna force you to wear one if you don't want to.

it should be the riders choise, same with seat belts. that is all, good day

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I am on the fence as well. My Dad was in a fairly bad wreck last year. He didn't wear a helmet and didn't suffer any head injuries. Of course that was just pure luck. He has been in several wrecks and he knows how to act. Had I been with him I may not have been so lucky. Before that accident, we would only wear our helmets when it wasn't too hot or just when we felt like it, but now we always wear them. Granted, they aren't full face helmets, just protect the upper part of your head, but still better than nothing.

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I simply would not ride without a helemt. Low speed, high speed, it does not matter. I have seen plenty of folks die in low speed accidents, that would still be alive if they were wearing a helmet.

But, I say it's up to the rider.

But, at 3:00am, if I show up and the persons dead from not wearing a helmet, I don't care, I get back to bed that much quicker.... I know that sounds crappy, but I have better things to do with my time (like sleep) than to worry over some fool who chose to pretty much kill himself. I rather expend my efforts on someone who took all the precautions, and was hurt, than the one who wanted to be "free".

11. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

I recently found a new hatred for my helmet. I havnt ridden a dirtbike for a long time but keep my helmet on top of my gun cabinet. Last time I went to get a few guns to go shooting, the damn thing fell off the top and hit me on the head. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif N

12. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I personally wear a helmet around twon, where the chances of surviving a crash with a brain are good, if your protect yours. On the open road, I usually don't wear one, because saving my brain so that I can live with the carnage that ensues after a 70mph spill is not appealing to me.

I'm with TXfireman though, a dead motorcyclist with no helmet doesn't do a whole lot for me, even though the chances are some a**hole driver probably killed him.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I would wear a helmet. I don't really see it as much of a big deal. Heck, I think it's way more important than a law requiring daytime running lights.

But...I'm on the fence with the law. There are people who choose not to wear a helmet knowing the risks, and there are people who choose not to wear one because they think nothing will ever happen to them. The Government feels it should keep the "it'll never hapen to me's" alive, and therefore makes laws like helmet laws to keep them alive.

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I wonder if it'll ever be against the law to die? The Fed Govt could then fine your estate for breaking the law. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is a lot of evidence that helmets kill as many people as they save. I did a lot of research on this subject about 5 years ago and wrote a pretty good report for school.

The reality is that helmets are only effective in certain types of crashes.

And reguardless, if you hit your head real hard, you're going to die anyway.

16. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a lot of evidence that helmets kill as many people as they save. I did a lot of research on this subject about 5 years ago and wrote a pretty good report for school.

[/ QUOTE ]

the same can be said about seatbelts.

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

The same can be said about walking outside on a sunny day

18. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

It's a matter of personal choice to me, but the liberal "we must protect you from yourselves" legislators have ruined that. Same people think it's OK to sue McDonalds for getting fat, sue gun manufacturers for "wrongful deaths", etc etc etc...

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the same can be said about seatbelts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true. Seatbelts have been proven to save FAR more lives than they take. Granted there are a few instances where not wearing a seatbelt has saved someone, but 95%+ of people are better off wearing them, and 50% of traffic fatalities could be prevented by seatbelts.

The same cannot be said for helmets.

20. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i was just reading some stats that number of riders goes up when there is no mandatory helmet laws...

more bikes... less cars... less gas... less highway maintainence... less pollution /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif