Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motorcycle powered rock crawler?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by moturbopar, Sep 12, 2006.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Ok I have an old shaft driven suzuki motorcycle, and a welder. Bad things happen when you have a welder, you start thinking you can melt together anything.:D Anyways, I have been thinking about building a cheap 1 person or mini rock crawler. Using fairly small light weight axles with steep gears, maybe from a sami or from a cherokee or something. I would like to run 33s maybe 35s. I have a divorced 205, which is probably going to be slightly too big, but its just sitting here doing nothing. The engine is 1000cc and makes 90hp at 7300rpm. I think I will use some old xj coil springs in the front and some 1/4 elipticals in the rear.
    So have any of you guys seen anything like this? Have any ideas for this project? Have any other ideas for axles?
    Thanks
    Shawn

2. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

Forgot what magazine it was, but read about a guy taking a 4 wheeler like a kawasakie brute force or something and putting it on some sami axles and 44" boggers.

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Do it.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go for it

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Aluminum transfercase , lighter . You will need light without a torque converter .

6. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

would need reverse also but it would make a nice light buggy

7. pauly383

Reverse , just get out pick up the front end , point elsewhere :wink1:

8. moturbopar

Yea i was thinking small light weight transfer case but what has a divorced transfer? As for reverse I havnt figured that problem out yet, but I am sure there is something I can do.

9. pauly383

They all can be divorced with a little work to keep the fluid in the case , and some splined shaft to the shaft drive .

I am sure Marv would talk for hours the endless possibilites with some beer :wink1:

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

:ears:...........

These are some smokin' ideas.... The same ones were burning up my mind in early 2004. I began construction of the "Marvzda" in summer of '04. I talked myself in circles many times before I decided which way to go.

Here's some of the stuff I learned:

1) Motorcycle engines are more $$ than car engines and parts are not near as plentiful. I was originally gonna use a 1800 cc Gold Wing/shaft drive engine. I was told they had reverse too...! I settled for a Mazda 1.6l w/ an auto tranny that was much more durable than the Motorcycle "trans". Also, if you gotta add in "intermediate" trans to get Reverse gear, the weight advantage of the Motorcycle engine goes away. Finally, I wanted an "auto", and there was no chance of this unless I went w/ car parts. ****edit**** .. one more thing I forgot to add! The automotive transaxle is the sh!t here. Remember that you get a free "low range" reduction equal to the ring gear ratio - in my case it was 3.83:1.... The benefits of the transaxle are numerous.

2) Aluminum "chaincases" are your friend here. 205's and such are just too massive. Again you wanna use cheap stuff that is very plentiful. (can you hear the 208 echo in the background... :ears: :haha:...)

3) Allow me to hit you in the face w/ a wet fish...! How 'bout all that 1/2 ton Chevy crap that everybody's throwing away....! :crazy:

:doah: .... wait a minute.... It's a stretch, but I may have just described this:
    [​IMG]

Marv

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Samurai's are divorced.
    There are reversing boxes out there (think Drag Race Lenco's & B&J trans') but none are cheap. So what about using any old manual trans? Give you even more lower gearing options. could have a "doubler" with 3 to 5 extra ranges in it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

4x4??..

We had quite a few guys come to the junkyard looking for stuff to make home brewed buggies out of..one guy bought 3 rear differentials from various chevy trucks,all 3.08 ratio..he put them on a home built channel iron frame,the front and rear in the usual manner,but used the 3rd one (which had a posi in it) as a transfer case of sorts--he coupled the axle shafts directly to the U-joint yokes on the front and rear diffs..this gave a reduction ratio of about 6-1 to the wheels..(it had no suspension,axles were bolted right to the frame rails!)...

He used an old riding mower 16 hp twin briggs motor and its tranny to drive the "center" differential,and that also provided a reverse gear!--it was offset to one side..it was not too fast,I'd guess 20 mph was its top speed--but there was not much it couldn't climb over!..it was kinda heavy though..the guy mostly used it as a yard tractor for hauling firewood on a trailer out of the woods..it had a pickup style bed he made,and a cool looking "C" cab,like an old Mack truck!..

I've seen tractor puller guys use a FWD transaxle and engine much the same way to drive 2 differentials too..gives a nice low crawl ratio,and they pull quite well in the competitions I've watched at county fairs!..:laugh: ..every time I saw one,I had the urge to build one myself..:crazy:

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Could take a Sami and throw the body off and build a little cage. I'll be back with some more ideas after work.

14. marv_springer

Good point.... pretty much what you're makin'. But stock Sami has crappy gearing and usually no EFI. So you gotta double up somehow or go aftermarket gearing.

Marv

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Isn't that picture to scale on a 19" screen? :haha:

16. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Sami's ever come auto? Probably not a very good one if they did...I think I'd wanna stretch the WB and put wagoneer or fullsize 1/2 ton stuff under it.

17. marv_springer

No.... never seen an auto Sami.

You bring up a good point on the w/b. 80" is too short!

Can't beat 1/2 Chevy axles (10b/44/12b) for cheap stuff that's durable on a light rig.

Marv

18. moturbopar

Wow thanks guys, for all the ideas. I am going to try and stick with the motorcycle engine for now. I do like the idea of using a trans for the reverse. I think it would be great. maybe I can find a sami trans and transfer and use it? As for axles I have been offered a dana 30 and a 8.25 from a cherokee with steel wheels for real cheap, like $10 cheap. I am thining about using 2 seperate steering brakes from a sandrail instead of lockers. This way I can have control over each tire.
    later
    Shawn

19. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Older Nissan ... I don't remember what years but post Datsun 720 and pre Hardbody.

20. marv_springer