Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motorcycle rack

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by detailer03, Feb 13, 2004.

1. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

I just bought a used dirt bike. I do not want to buy a trailer. I have seen these racks that go into the trailer hitch advertised. They seem to be a little expensive. Does any one have any ideas or maybe one for sale cheap.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just bought a used dirt bike. I do not want to buy a trailer. I have seen these racks that go into the trailer hitch advertised. They seem to be a little expensive. Does any one have any ideas or maybe one for sale cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am making mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I will not pay that much for those contraptions, and a trailer is just too much for just the bike.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm trying to figure out how to haul my 57 Vespa with mine. I'll have 4 bikes o nthe roof and a 22ft camper behind it allready. I HATE stuff hanging on the front but looks like that's where it will have to go.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

How about behind the camper? (on a rack) Maybe you can mount a receiver under the back of the camper for the rack to slide into. I have a receiver on my 5th wheel I use to pull my boat or motorcycle trailer, works great. You can buy the receiver tubing up to 4' long pre drilled for the pin for about 20 bucks then fab out your own hitch.

John

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hanging that much weight on the back of the camper is bad for it. Especialy true for a Airstream like we have. I am debating installing the Spare tire back there and that's how it came.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

vespa! Those arent too heavy, I'd almost consider mounting it on the hit connector area (if it doesnt exceed your tongue weight)

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What ever you do please be sure you do not block the tail lights on your vehicle. I see so many cars and small SUV's with 4-5 bikes on a reciver rack that you cant see the tail lights from directly behind them. They could slam on the brakes and you wouldnt know it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The worst one I have seen was a car traveling on I-80 last weekend. Had 4 bikes on a bike rack, wrapped in plastic. No way in hell anyone could see their lights.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What ever you do please be sure you do not block the tail lights on your vehicle. I see so many cars and small SUV's with 4-5 bikes on a reciver rack that you cant see the tail lights from directly behind them. They could slam on the brakes and you wouldnt know it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The worst one I have seen was a car traveling on I-80 last weekend. Had 4 bikes on a bike rack, wrapped in plastic. No way in hell anyone could see their lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.
    I have a set of trailer brake lights that I use when I am flat towing a vehicle and I would use it on the bike if I have it behind me, just to make sure I am visible.
    One thing I hate is non functionning light especiall on 2002 trucks or cars (how can that happen) and hidden lights (I know how that happens /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)