Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motorcycle tie downs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by no3rdseat, May 17, 2002.

1. no3rdseat

no3rdseat Newbie

I haven't had any problems with my 89 Jimmy so I haven't said much lately, but I finally have a question. What's the best way you guys have found to secure a motorcycle in the back of your K5 with the top removed and the rear seat removed? Thanks!

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

JC Whitney has a thingy that will hold the front tire and then you can use regular motorcycle tie downs. The thingy is a piece of tubing that bolts to the bed and is pretty cheap. If you wan't a way to do it without instaling something like that you might try loading it backwards and tying it against the tail gate. That would be more of a hassle and the rear tire might end up on top of your center counsole if you have one. The thingy is much more secure and it would be easier to load plus you could leave the tailgate down if necessary.

3. no3rdseat

no3rdseat Newbie

Thanks. I was thinking of buying the motorcycle tie-downs and possibly using the existing holes in the floor that the seat bolts to along with the seat bolts to secure them.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I use the holes for the seat latch too. If your bike doesn't have a parking brake just use a zip tie on the front brake handle to keep it locked so it doesn't try to come forward.

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Parking brake on a motorcycle? Is that like a kickstand on a Blazer?

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

When i replaced the torx bolts that hold my top on with regular hex head bolts, I replaced 4 of them with eyelets of the same size thread. Just thread a nut up the threads of the eyelet and turn the eyelet all the way in, then use the nut to tighten it. I have 2 at the back of the cab, and 2 on the sides near the rear. No i can secure and tie down almost everything. I can even load the ATC in the back without taking the top off and have a place to tie it down.

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I forgot that we were talking 2 wheels. All of my atc's and atv's have a latch on the clutch handle that links it to the rear brake and locks it on so that it wont roll around in the back of the truck.