Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motorcyclists; ever mount a camera on your bike?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 16, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I mounted a camcorder on the bike yesterday and got some pretty bad video. Too much vibration, and after 30 seconds on a badly paved road near my office, the home-made mount rolled down and gave me a nice 5 minutes of the sky...
    The worst part was that trying to play with it was distracting, and once the mount moved, it blocked my mirror, so I had to pull over and disassemble it.

I have a quarter-size wireless camera that I will eventually helmet-mount, but I had a couple close calls yesterday that really ticked me off, and having a camera would make me react much more calmly (documentation, feel more like justice will be served if something happened). So I'm trying to mount my old camcorder to the bike until I get my helmet electronics straitened out (which may be months).

So what, if anything, are you using as a camera mount?

I'm looking at one of these tank mounts:
    [​IMG]

Or one of these modified to hang off the windshield:
    [​IMG]

Or one of these (just the swivel head), shock-resistance added, then attached to my home-made mount which would be stabilized:
    [​IMG]

I'm also thinking about trying to weld a contraption together that I'll mount off a fairing bolt.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i think the windshield mount would vibrate to much

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I'd think the tank mount would, too.

I'm just looking into mini DVR's for the helmet cam, thought maybe I'll just skip the whole camcorder thing. I don't think I'm going to be leaving the caamcorder any time soon at $600+ though...

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I've wanted to, but like you, I don't have the proper mount and the vibration would be too bad.

I like the tank mount, looks like it'll do the trick. get one and post up!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ever see the footage from the guys helmet cam? Some dink didn't see him, came into his lane and hit him or something...then tried to claim the bike hit him instead. The guy showed the cops the helmet cam footage...

Anyways, the helmet cam was really clear and vibration free...plus it recorded what the guy looked at, not just directly in front of the bike.

Rene

6. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

We used the base of aan old tripod and bolted it to the rear footpeg of my buddies 919 and my SV...worked really cool, but it means that I had to ride pretty close to his bike to get good fottage.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That was actually a chick driving that bike.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds about right...it's been quite a while since I saw that vid. Do you have a link?

Rene

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

10. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

I have a mount that goes to the tank and uses 4 suction cups. I was worried it would come off but never had a problem. Used it on my FZ1. Caught my brother's wreck with it and haven't used it since. If you want it to play with you can have it newyorkin. Just PM me with your address. There were no real vibration problems but of course the roads that we ran were pretty good.

[​IMG]

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you would have to have a really small helmet cam, and any kind of speed if it was to big it would want to rip your head off.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

There's some helmet cam video I've seen from enduro/motocross guys that is pretty good.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

There are some helmet cam mounts that are pretty stout. I've seen a suction cup design that tests up to 120mph.
    The camera I have for my helmet is about the size of a quarter, but I'm really liking these bullet-cams that are designed for helmet mounting. They're fairly aerodynamic.
    I like the quarter sized one cause it's not as obvious, I'm not a big fan of big contraptions hanging off my head...