Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motorhome to the rescue

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 29, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Seems like all my vehicles are dropping like flies. (A constant never ending cycle of something going wrong)

Get Crew Cab running again. Plow Truck breaks front end... I replace front end. Take Suburban apart to replace tranny/T-case... Crew Cab clutch goes out.

I go pick up my friend to go up north and we get 2 blocks from where I picked him up, I stop, and instantaneously, with no warning, no noise, and no visible external breakage, the Crew Cab no longer has any clutch when the pedal is depressed.

So... I start it in gear and drive a few blocks to where another friend lives, and borrow his Motorhome to go on our trip. Most motorhomes are parked all winter long, so many people stared at us when we went driving along (or maybe it was the fact of seeing a 22 year old Swedish/Phillipino driver and a 325lb heavily tatoo'd passenger, or the way the motorhome just "looks" or sounds with no muffler.

After a stop, going through the drivethrough at Zips with it, we head on our 85 mile journey over icy roads. Even got to drive it through 6" of new snow in the field and spun around in it once when we got there.

I love that old ugly thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Be glad you're not into aircraft... LOL!

3. mountainexplorer

Very true. My one friend had a curse of having anything he drove mysteriousely break... and he had wanted to be an airline pilot for some time. My mom told me she'd be worried about riding an a plane he was flying, cause it would probably break something in mid air.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re:Crew cab,

Sounds like the linkage underneath. The clutch return spring would make the clutch pedal still feel and act somewhat normal (just much lighter)

I once had to fix that problem on the trail. Now i keep it adjusted a bit tighter than I used to and I haven't had a problem since.

Rene

5. mountainexplorer

First thing I did was jump underneath... I checked the Z bar, adjustment linkage, and even checked to make sure the fork hadn't popped off the pivot ball stud (didnt feel like it had). Everything that I can visibly see and/or feel appears to be normal.

I went and picked up two new clutches today, and the guy there suggested that possibly one of the springs out of the disc popped out and wedged itself between the flywheel and the disc. Makes sense to me. When I bought the "truck Blazer", it was exactly that which had happened.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That sucks...I had a disc start to let go on me once. The little buffer 'wave' springs between the two friction surfaces broke.

Rene

7. mountainexplorer

I'll find out tomorrow for sure. I just got done doing the clutch/tranny/T-case in the Suburban... only to find out now nothing electrical works because of a wire by the starter that broke.

And I had though I got away with all that work without having to pull the starter. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif