Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motors don't last long around here

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 28, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

As soon as I was ready to put in a local for sale ad for "Brutus", my '77 Crew Cab, the slight noise that I began noticing a month back, became louder, and now it's knocking.

So much for my excellent running Goodwrench 350 that I just put in the truck in October. Never had a motor run as smooth as this one did, never used or leaked a drop of oil; sure it was gutless in a 1-ton Crew cab, but it ran good otherwise.

It only started knocking to re-complicate my schedule of progress again. Thats 6 motors for me that have gone from fine to bad during 2004.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Haven't you learned yet to not warm these motors up at 7 thousand rpm?:grin:

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Two words, they have saved my ass numerous times......

REV LIMITER

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...Rev limiter???? Come on now, you know when to stop when you hear the valves float! I can't even count the times I have done that to my motor and she is still good to go 13yrs later! (I don't even have a tach because I just don't want to know...)

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Only one got over-reved. Two others just finally died after hard lives, and 2 just went out for no real reason that I could figure during my time of running them, and one gave out cause of me being real abusive to it. So I take direct blame for 2 of them, partial blame for two more, and the other two... well, they just decided to commit suicide.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i got that bet

my friend put less than 12k miles on his truck 1 year and just thrased it in the mud all year . he put 12 motors in that year . this is a dd truck not a comp, or stip truck. think you have it bad .

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I just used my crew cab today with its tired azz 350, one lifter rattling to beat the band and spewing coolant the whole 15 mile journey, loaded down in the back with various items and a trailer with a nice big heavy fork lift on it. Took my time and thank the maker it was nice and cool out today or it would have over heated. Some times you just can't kill em and other times they live an extremely short duration. Who knows.

Of course the speedo read 75 the whole time but we really were going about 45 - 50 mph.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Got a 350 from S&S Engine up in WA. Right after the 2 year warranty expired the friggin motor started knocking. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Well I have stocked up on engine rebuild, blueprint, books and video. By the time it explodes I'll be ready to rebuild it.

If you want it done right you gotta do it yourself. Crap.

I feels your pain!!!!!!!