Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motorvation-350 TBI or 6.2L diesel.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Jan 24, 2001.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

As some of you know, I'm thinking about selling my IFS Blazer and getting a K5. Need some money and am tired of expensive IFS parts. Anyways, I've been thinking about what kind of K5 I want, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to two types:
    1) 1987-1991 with the throttle body injected 350 which I am already familiar with because my 92 has the same motor.
    2) a 6.2L diesel K5. I am in the Marines and have spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of HUMVEE's with the 6.2L. It will never win a drag race, but it has lots of torque.

My first question will be about the 350 TBI motors:
    Is there any difference between an 87 350 to my 92 350?
    They are both rated the same according to the specification chart here on CK5, but I've heard the 87 and 88 motors had less power. I was under the impression however that the 87-95 350 TBI motors are pretty much identical. I'm in SoCal, so unfortunately whatever K5 I buy will more than likely be California emissions equiped. At least the vehicle will be rust free though.

Second group of questions:
    How do the diesel K5's do on road?
    What's the usual gear ratios for the diesel K5's?
    Are they carbed or fuel injected?
    What are the power ratings for a diesel Blazer?
    Any problems to look for in the diesels?
    Any years to avoid, or look for?
    How's the gas mileage?
    What's the usual tranny behind a diesel in a K5?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oh goodie...Diesel questions!!!!
    Don't have any answers for your first group of questions...but the second group I have some...
    1) Diesel on the road good. You can pull a house. Nuf said.
    2) Diesels are fuel injected. They got a big ole pump on the top of the engine.
    3) Power ratings..they are listed on the list of all the years...I belive its under "Specs"
    4) Yes...plow trucks..just walk away.
    5) Years to avoid....the early 80's...I would say after 86 would be good.
    6) Fuel mileage is great...can't beat it...I am getting about 25 mpg driving like I don't have anything upstairs...so if you drive like you know how you should get great mileage.
    7) Usual tranny is 700R4...expect to replace the tranny a few times or change to a TH400 or a manual tranny if you don't plan on off roading much. When you get one with a 700R4..get the biggest cooler you can get...no skimping!!!

Anything else? I would suggest
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

the usual gear ratio for the 6.2 in the K5 is 3.42s, there are optional gears, like 3.73s, possibly even 4.10s. On the hummer diesel motors, I thought they were all 6.5s with blowers. Also about the hummer, they have a gear multiplication drive train. Next time you approach a hummer look by the wheels, the reason the motor and trans is so high is because of that gear multiplication. so basically a K5 has half the power of the hummer. Or more exactly a hummer has double the HP and torqe. I've gone through this before about diesels, some guys like em some guys don't. For a K5, I think the set up really sucks, they're very slow (underpowered) peak horsepower is like 130 or 140. Peak torque is a measly 240. Yippie! Get any mild small block and it will out tow it while running circles around the 6.2. If fuel mileage is what you really want, then go diesel, even though around me the price for diesel fuel is 60 cents a gallon more than gas. diesels always stink and are loud. they also blow up the 700s they are usually in front of. I've had 6.2s and 6.5s and SBCs and BBCs. the BBC set up is the ultimate for power and speed, you will get like 8 MPG though. Its all what you want. Since your in the military go down to the motor pool, see if the boys down there will let you test drive a K5, they are all diesel with 400 trannys supposedly. by the way the tow rating for the K5 is not predicated on the engine. The tow rating for a K5 is how all vehicles are computed, predicated on the whole vehicle package. so 6.2 or not the wheel base and tranny and even the gearing and 10-bolts all are considered......If you ask me what I would chose, an89-91 with the 350, fully loaded......and no rot......js

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The 350 has more torque than the 6.2.

How do the diesel K5's do on road?
    --Crappy

What's the usual gear ratios for the diesel K5's?
    --I've seen lots with 3.42s, mine came with 3.73s.

Are they carbed or fuel injected?
    --All diesels are FI.

What are the power ratings for a diesel Blazer?
    --I think it varied a bit over the years, mine was 130 hp or so.

Any problems to look for in the diesels?
    --Regular fuel filter changes are important and are the source of many loss of power complaints. Make sure the glow plug controller and relay are in good shape, or the plugs will burn up and give you major grief, the least of which is payin $10 each for new ones.

Any years to avoid, or look for?
    --The early 700s are bad, they fixed them around Oct. '84 and then again in '86 or '87. Most have already been rebuit, though.

How's the gas mileage?
    --I got ~20 when I bought it (no lift, 31's), and was down to ~14 when I put it out (plus lots of oil). With the price difference in gas/diesel at the time, it didn't cost me any more to drive the gas motor at ~11 mpg.

What's the usual tranny behind a diesel in a K5?
    --700R4

Hope this helps you avoid the same mistake I made,

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've got a '90 K5 with the 6.2 and 700r4. It was my daily driver for over 4 years and now has over 100,000 miles. Here are my thoughts on some of your questions:

- While not being the fastest on the road, I always thought it had adequate power and had plenty of pep around town. Accelerating at higher speeds was it downfall, such as merging onto freeways at 65 mph.

- Mine came with 3.73 gears.

- There's no such thing as a carbed diesel engine (at least that I know of). I think it works great off-road as it has never had so much as a hiccup even on steep grades and it has never stalled.

- Around 130-140 hp, but the peak torque comes on at a really low rpm as compared to gas engines.

- I've heard of a few minor glitches with the 6.2's, but no worse than any other engine on the road today. As mentioned, make sure the glow plug system is up to date.

- I think the newer the better, IMHO

- I can drive 200 miles round trip on the roads, spend 6-7 hours on the trail and only use 15 gallons of fuel. Some of the guys in the club use 10 gallons just on the trail.

- 700r4's unless it's a CUCV. I don't understand why the 6.2 would be harder on the trans than the more powerful 350???? I have over 100,000 miles on the original trans with no problems.

A couple of sidenotes: Hummers were originally equipped with the 6.2's. The 6.5's didn't come out in them until the early to mid-90s. Also most military Hummers I have seen do not have turbos.

I also don't understand the statement about the Hummers having twice the horsepower and torque of a K5?????? Yes, they do have gear reduction hubs with a 2:1 ratio, but the axle ratio is only around 2.73, which is equal to having 5.46 (2 x 2.73) gears in a K5. While gears will multiply torque available at the tires, it does not multiple horsepower.

6. JimmyDie6.2

the reason why the 6.2 abuses trannys more than the more powerful 350 is a great question for a tranny shop!! That is a good point though, why 6.2s spit out their trannys, the fact is they do at a higher rate. As for twice the power of a K5, thats the multiplication we are talking about... so multiplying and getting double the torque in a hummer compared to any other vehicle, (regardless of the gear in the rear), would also effect horsepower. since torque is a dependent variable and HP is an independent variable dependent on torque. If torque is doubled mathematically horsepower is effected. As for hummers coming with the 6.2 and 6.5s and not sporting blowers in the military, that really sucks considering how much a hummer weighs and how aneimic those motors are to begin with............js

7. OFFRDK5

Gee Jimmy...don't you ever say anything GOOD about the Diesel? So negative!!! And you say the main gear ratio is 3.42? hrm? Diesels stink.....NO...thats cuz you are sitting there sucking on the pipes!!! Loud..hrm..I will ask this again and see if there is a response....What kinda muffler you got on that gasser there Jimmy?!!?!? Flowmaster? Straight pipes? No...that ain't loud!!! How do you know so much about these things but you keep knocking em down?
    For some more answers I suggest using
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.thedieselpage.com>http://www.thedieselpage.com</A>

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

8. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

I like my diesel pretty good. It has the th400 and 3:08 gears from the military. I thought it did pretty well on the highway. Top speed seems to be about 65 though. I don't consider mine loud unless it is running cold when I first start it. It has glasspacks on it. I am thinking about switching to a 454 just for the added fun factor!

[​IMG]See more--&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86>http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86</A>

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

In order to double the torque through gearing, you must half the rpm. Horsepower is dependent on torque and rpm. If you double one and half the other, the hp remains the same. So yes, "If torque is doubled mathematically horsepower is effected". It is cut in half.

hp = rpm * ft-lbs / 5252

This is also why ALL hp and torque curves (for a given engine) cross at 5252 rpm. Hummers need the extra gearing to make up for the added weight and inefficiency of the geared hub design, and the military is not really concerned with top speed. How many civilians do you know who would buy a brand new vehicle that can' t top 60 mph?

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. JimmyDie6.2

The question was asked in the original post, so I answered it however viscerally. I've also posted that many people have many different opinions about motors and drive trains and that I respect all opinions. I am the subject personally of many objections from pontiac folks due to a BBC in my GTO. And now my next project a 377 in an MG midget. I will contend, even though it obviously upsets the diesel masses that they SUCK in a vehicle driven everyday, more specifically a small K5, unless of course you find diesel exhaust fumes asphyxiating you while you try to merge into traffic an exhilarating experience. The loud CLANGING of the motor, always. I'm not going to list all the annoying nuances once again. Do I like diesels, the truth is In a forklift they are spectacular, the pulling, pushing, lifting power is awesome. In an 18 wheeler, if gas motors could do better they would opt for those over the diesel motors in those rigs. In a crane, superb power. In a K5, (and I'll write it again, I've had had all motor and tranny combos in K5s and burbs and pickups) get an SBC fully loaded 89-91. Its simple, effective and dare I say it more powerful. By the way my JIm had duals when I got it, I ordered the stock replacement mufflers and had a new 2.5 inch exhaust system bent on her, that was stock.......and guess what, it was loud, just like all those diesels are..............js

11. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Low RPM torque eats trannys
    The fluid pressure that holds the clutches together and pushes it around for circulation increases with RPM and TV cable pull.
    Lots of torque just off idle much more likely to cause heat build up and clutch slip.
    The pump inside tranny is not turning very fast so less flow to the cooler and if the TV cable adjustment is just a hair off so the internal pressure rise associated with pull has not started on that off idle driving the clutche packs are not pressed hard enough together you get slipping heat and you gernade the tranny

12. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

FYI-up-armored hummers have 6.5 turbos. of coures they weigh about 10000 lbs. they also have a/c because of the thick bullet proof glass and small door windows.

AIRBORNE!!

13. OFFRDK5

So if I read this right there Jimmy...you didn't answer the question of the current exhaust you have on your gasser right now? Why are you avoiding that question?

Now I don't have any trouble merging into traffic...what was your gear ratio? What size tires? Was the injection pump timed correctly? What kinda tranny? How many miles on the Diesel? And how fast are you expecting to get on the freeway..like off the ramp at 120 mph? Or something sensible? And where was the Diesel exhaust routed? Did you just happen to have no exhaust on it? What grade of Diesel were you running? Any additives? I don't think you know what you are talking about...you just are too lazy to deal with a real engine!!
    I will wave at you as I drive by when you are sitting at the side of the road and you can suck some of my Diesel fumes.....

SK-15
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

14. JimmyDie6.2

Sk-15, just because you post me a question, I don't feel obligated to answer it, that is even if I read what you post, but in this instance I'll set the record straight......ready?...... I had new dual exhaust bent onto the truck with a stock 2.5 inch diameter dynomax replacement mufflers. The exhaust system was left on the truck when the gas engine was put in, two pipes were bent to attach the existing dual exhaust to the flowtech headers that I used with the 350. So once again the gas engine with the same exhaust is quieter than the diesel. (and with no diesel chatter), Can you understand that? I've posted my exhaust set-up both with the old and new engines before, in posts by others regarding getting rid of 6.2s in favor of gas engines, posts I might add that you have posted in. I have 3.42s in my truck with 31s with the 6.2, and merging was horrible, slow and plainly said sometimes dangerous, ( thats also a product of where I live). I now have 33s with the 350 and it merges wonderfully, quietly, and I'm not being suffocated. By the way the diesel motor doesn't like going overe 75mph, not to mention 120mph. The timing of my engine and maintenance of said engine was performed by a trio of certified and skilled diesel mechanics who on a daily babsis maintain a fleet of diesel engines. (this is at my uncles junkyard, A place I have mentioned before). As a point of interest, all three diesel mechanics concur that the diesel set up was a good idea, but that sadly the engine is way-underpowered and should have been equiped with a blower to actually give it a chance at decent power. I ran diesel fuel about 50% of the time and #2 50% of the time, always conditioned the motor with industrial grade conditioners and regularly changed my filters, both primary and secondary. I felt no difference in power with either fuel, although I managed less mileage with #2. I am curious as to specifically what you mean when you write, "I have no idea what I am talking about.", please eleborate. So a gas motor isn't a real motor by your logic, or more specifically illogic. By the way I ditched the diesel motor so I wouldn't have to suck fumes in anymore. I will write again, to all who consider the different engine combo configurations in a K5, drive them all, make your own decision, I'm confident the gas motors that you don't consider real will win out time and again. I think that the fumes are slowly but surely effecting your intellectual acumen................js

15. OFFRDK5

What worries me here is that you claim to go over 120 mph in a K5...
    You really needed 3 mechanics for your K5? You don't work on your own?
    Ah..your fuel...theres your problem. You lose so much with that #1 stuff...let alone getting caught with it!!
    "Industrial Grade Conditioners"...hrm...and what kind was that?!?!? I didn't know that "Industrial Grade Conditioners" was a product? Where do you get this? And what all was is in it?
    How illogical for you to think that Jimmy...must be something with you knowing it all?!?!?!?
    I did not say that a gas motor was not a "real" motor. You say a Diesel ISN'T a real motor...hrm...
    Oh no the Diesel fumes do not effect me...I don't suck on exhaust pipes like you do!!! And where was your exhaust routed again? Straight back? The sides? Hrm.....

SK-15

16. JimmyDie6.2

you know what sk-15, whatever you say...................js
    PS. congratulations for finally finding my post

17. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I've never had a K5 diesel, but I did have an 85 K20 with a 6.2 and a 88 K1500 with 5.7 TBI. The diesel was great on the mileage but low on power until I had the injector pump rebuilt and hopped up. My mileage went from 16 to 13 ( 4:10's ,33 's and a TH400) but ran out much better. Now off road is were the diesel shined, as long as you keep the water out of the intake ( snorkle it if you buy one). You can idle up the all but the steepest hills. I used mine for running around the Oregon coast range mountains chasing elk. I could get one gallon per hour off road, beat that with a 5.7. On the down side, parts are expensive for the 6.2 ( price a rebuilt starter) and you have a really short power band. I could not imagine running one without at least 4.10's or a manual trans. I towed a 6k trailer with both, and the 5.7 was better pulling up the hills, but worse on mileage. Off road, I personally liked the diesel better.

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

JimmyDie6.2

So you are saying all I have to do is install a gear multliplication unit and my Horsepower will improve? That would explain why every time I slip my truck into 4lo, it doubles the horsepower!!!! Its like hitting Nitrous. You are so full of it! LOL that is so funny. I'll contact John Force and Austin Coil right away and tell them "All Y'all have to do is ad a multipakachion unit on your car and you double the horsepower" "Like that woud mean 12,000 horsepower"

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

19. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

The problem isnt the power its the power band think 2stroke constant shifting to keep it in the band diesels are the same way keep the rpms down the torque up thats why GM went to the allison 5sp it shifts allot but keeps the power right where you want it.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

20. OFFRDK5

Elkboy: I already found out the cost for rebuilt starter...ouch..they ain't cheap...but if you keep em up they go forever. And I also instead of melting my 2nd 2 guage wire I installed a 0 guage wire from the passenger battery to the starter...its much stronger now. Heck...I don't even have to plug it in or use glow plugs to get it started. It sat for 8 hours (working) and went out and said "Heck with it try it!" WOW...that was sweet to know. My problem is that I have 3.08 gears...looking for something a bit taller...anyone got any cheap? or FREE?
    p.s. Thank you for some people coming up here and defending the Diesel...I know its not the best...but its not the worst either!!!

SK-15