Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moulded carpet / house carpet

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Feb 15, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I have found a cool colored carpet that I'd love to put in my K5. It's just normal carpet, How easy is it to fit normal carpet in a K5? For example, how well does it fit over the 'hump' in the front (below the shift lever) OR, must I use a moulded carpet set as found in LMC or somewhere to get that 'perfect fit' even though I'll have a very limited color choice.

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have had house carpet in one of my rigs in the past and it was actually pretty nice, with the right cuts in the right places it laid down over the hump nicely. I also instaled some indoor outdoor carpet in one of my other vehicles and again with the right mods it fit great.
    when it comes time to carpet the back of my Blazer I am going to go to Home Depot and get their grey indoor outdoor carpet, it comes in six foot rolls and costs $6.50 a linear foot.
    I figure for about $50 I can carpet the backend wall to wall

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

3. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Do a search for carpet. I posted a link to a vendor I found on ebay that sells the molded carpet in ANY custom color you want. And at about $200 for the whole set, front & back, it is a really good deal. It is the ACC(I think that is the brand)brand that is some of the best available.

Here is the Here, hope this helps.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Cusm on 02/15/01 09:56 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, i have the ACC kit in my truck, i bought it through Golden State Pickup, I acctually ordered it in a F**d color, which was a little darker than what was there originally, they have a pretty big selection of colors, plus youcan get loop, cutloop it comes with the healpad, and is a breeze to install, just leave it in the sun for a few hours and slam it in.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I installed house carpet in an F-150 many years ago. I had to cut wedges out of the carpet to make it fit smoothly over the hump. I used a heavy thread to sew the edges back together after doing the cuts. It was a lot of work, but it came out looking great. I even pulled the seat out and ran the carpet under the seat and up the back wall to the bottom of the window. Made it WAY quieter inside. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Bking,
    Personally I would go with automotive carpet. On the other hand residential carpet does have some advantages. It has a longer wear rating and some of it treated to prevent staining. My buddy happens to be a carpet installer by trade and all of his trucks in cluding his Jimmy are carpeted with residential. The results are very nice, but remember he's a professional. But it can be done. Here are some tips on working with carpet. First, get a carpet cutting knife along with the apprioprate carpet blades. Home Depot should care them. They are EXTREMELY sharp, I mine extremly sharp, so be careful. You need the sharp blades to cut all of the strands so you don't end up with the carpet fraying. Another tip, work with the carpet on a hot or warm day. Carpet gets VERY stiff when it's cold. Good luck.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

8. talison79

talison79 1/2 ton status

I used res. carpet in my 79. Its really not hard to get it to look like molded carpet with a little practice. The secret is getting seam tape, It comes in a roll for about five bucks from HD. The tape is, hot glue on a paper backing. You make as many cuts as needed to lay correctly. Then use a clothes iron from the back side of the carpet to join your seams. Its really easy, with some practice to make it look perfect. Hope this helps.