Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mountain Bikes

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 55Willy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Who else rides one???

I'm looking at buying one for to and from work. It's only like 6 blocks each way.

I'm looking at one of the following brands:
    Gary Fisher
    Mongoose
    Specialized

any imput on which one to look into?
    I'm only looking for front suspension, no desire for full (front and rear)

My brother races a Gary Fisher. and likes the Shimano parts that it has, IE shifters and derailers.

-Jeremy

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

GT makes really nice reliable bikes. I personally ride a Diamondback.

3. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

I personally ride a GT XCR full suspension. I love it (maybe it could be a little lighter.) Real nice on the backside going over the rocks. I was riding it to work for a while. Not an ideal road bike. It was a cushy ride on the street. I would recommend a front susp if you're just riding it to work (for curbs and whatnot.) You do lose a lot of energy in the full suspension if you have it set too soft on the pavement. I've also ridden Specialized and Diamondback on/off road too. Both good bikes.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I ride and love my Gary Fisher...nice weight distribution and can take a beating,....I ride a bit more extreme usage for my bike than most, from road trips 30+ miles to using it like I used to my BMX, dirt jumping, freestyle...etc.
    At one time i was consistantly logging 160mile weeks

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have Brian Lopes in my office 3 days a weeks, he comes in to hook up with some of the guys and go riding,I might get a bike and try to keep up with him...they do this loop around the area ..

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

When I still lived in base housing I would ride anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour to get to work on my GT XCR. I loved it but my ride was a lot of off road. You couldn't ask for a better ride as far as I was concerned. I rode my dad's GT hard tail for a while before I got my full suspension. It did pretty good on the roads. I personally prefere the full suspension but you could save some cash by going with the hard tail. I would recomend getting a suspension seat post to soak up some of the bumps.

7. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I was a bike mechanic for two years and also raced for two years. I personally ride a '98 schwinn homegrown full suspension. Unfortunitly, they are out of business from what I've heard. At the bike shop that I worked at, we sold a brand called Marin, they sold the best bikes for the price if you ask me, totally race ready hard tails with XT/LX components for 999 back in the day, (98-99). But if I wanted a bike for riding on the roads and some trails, I would look into marin, or fuji bikes. I would also go for a chromoly (sp??) frame, they are heavier, but, they are cheaper and give a much more forgiving ride because they flex a lot more that aluminum will. Just my 2 cents.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Check out a Giant, my dad upgraded from a GT XCR to a Giant top of the line bike and he said it was a lot nicer to ride, but the suspension was a wee bit stiffer on the rough stuff.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Just talked to my brother the other night about this. Through his work McQ's sports in Boise, he can get me a smoking deal on a K2 or Giant.

-Jeremy