Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounted one of the 42's today....What a nightmare!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Mounted one of the 42\'s today....What a nightmare!!!

2.5 hours, 1/2 can of starting fluid, 10 matches, a ratchet strap, 4 new valve stems, a new wire wheel for the grinder, a spray bottle of Simple Green, some liquid dish soap, some flat black paint, two bent tire spoons, and ALOT of sweat and four letter words later, this is the result...
    [​IMG]

The Starting fluid and match method of seating the bead works pretty good, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but ya gotta get the air nozzle on the valve stem pretty quick or it just unseats itself again...Never could get the starting fluid method to work again, so I just sweated and cussed at with the soapy stuff and tire spoons. The Les Schawb place in town wouldn't even touch a 42. They don't even mount the ones they sell. The Big-O in town wanted $25 a tire to mount them...At this rate, I'm only gonna beable to get 1 or 2 mounted a day.... lol.

By the way...It's in the house so I could take some pictures of it... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Mounted one of the 42\'s today....What a nightmare!!!

I've done the either trick with truck tires before... works great and saves time but it can be dangerous. I spray it around the inside of the bead and then make my self a little trail down the side of the tire across the cement a few feet, light the trail , jump back,boom, and walla. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I had to use ether to seat my bead when the ground decided to suck a wheel in and ran the tire of the wheel, had to walk back to town 15miles super hot out, get a buddy go back out pull the truck out without letting her flip over the jack it up grab huge amounts of mud from the bead filled it right full of ether and boom, mud goes flying everywhere it held air till I took it to the tire shop to get cleaned out about a week later. It was my first time using it, it went pretty slick.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I conned the local farm and fleet. I told them I needed four tires mounted. They asked me if they were car or truck tires. I told them truck size, floatation, not P-metric. They charged me for the "LT tire mount" ($5 a tire).

The instant they saw the tires they were like [darn] no we're not mounting them, wait til the shop manager gets back, we'll ask him.

He came back about 15 minutes later, "Yeah, we'll do 'em but we can't balance them."

$20 and I was on my way. Balanced tires are overrated anyway!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, and you just have 3 to go... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I got all mine mounted with nothing but tire spoons and an air hose in about 2, maybe 3 hours. Of course, with 8" wheels, the beads almost seat themselves. But I have yet to loose a bead even though I usually run around 5-6 lbs...

6. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

the key to the ether method is the style of air nozzle that you use. it works every time if you get one of those 6" long big rig style air chucks that stick on the valve stem by them selves. also did you make sure that you had the valve cores removed from the stems? this makes a huge difference. the longest it's ever taken me was 15 min max (39's). practice trully makes perfect, so keep on keepin on.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with 84 chevy,Balancing is over rated. I think trying to balance any tire over 40" is a waste of time. My 44" swampers were sand balanced and it still rides like SH!!!!!!!!TTTT

8. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

so lucky to have a place 25 minutes away that will speed balance any tire under 50". . . /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, and you just have 3 to go... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I got all mine mounted with nothing but tire spoons and an air hose in about 2, maybe 3 hours. Of course, with 8" wheels, the beads almost seat themselves. But I have yet to loose a bead even though I usually run around 5-6 lbs...

[/ QUOTE ]

My wheels are 16.5x8.25..

I tried dropping the tire on the rim, dropping the rim into the tire...None of that worked...Or maybe I was just missing something. Most of the time I had into it, was just getting the tire on the rim, and cleaning/painting the wheels. They were used and rusty. Needed new valve stems too. And of course there are two sizes of valve stems, and of course I bought the wrong one first. So I had to make a second trip. Thats where my 2.5 hours went. Seating the bead was easy. I had some pretty impressive fireballs goin at 10pm last night.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You do know to keep the opposite bead in the "well" to get the bead past the lip, right? It's also easier on most wheels to go into the tire from the back due to the "well" being near the front and the large flat back shell.

11. Zeus33rd

Yeah, I don't know what the hell I was doing wrong yesterday, but I got the last 3 mounted and aired up in under an hour today. My gramps thinks it's cause he was there supervising this time...lol, more like he was there driving me crazy tellin me how I should do it... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif