Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting a Firestik cb antenna..

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Impex, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

What do you guys think about mounting a 4' firestik fiberglass antenna in the bed of my truck but centered against the back (closest to the cab), and sticking about 4-6" above the roof of the cab. Would there be any prolems with this, or what would be the best way to mount this antenna? thanks

[​IMG]

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well its got a few things going for it. Its away from the engine noise and won't take a beating from the wind. The only problem is that you won't get a nice pattern. Your antenna will have to radiate through two panes of glass to transmit. Your forward projection will not be as good as it could possibly be. I would try using a fender channel mount with a 3' antenna. I'd go with the 3' because the wind will really kick around a 4' while the 3' is more stable. The performance of 3' compared to 4' is practically unoticable and it will look better in that particular position. The fender mount means your antennas pattern is only being blocked by a fourth of the cab as oppossed to the half. It also has more clearance than directly behind the cab. The performance will probably be greater than in that particular spot. The way it is set will actually make the radiation pattern more directional because of the truck shape. Basically wherever your front or rear is pointing you'll put out better. Either way has its advantages.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Impex I cant think of a better location to put your antenna. In the center of your vehicle and 1-2" above your cab is ideal. The only thing that I would change is from a firestick to a steel whip. If you have the money you might think about a K40,Wilson2000, or even cobra's new steel antenna. These all run around $50-$60. Even if you dont want to dump that kinda money for these antennas you can pick up a steel whip for about $10. I've got 5-6 firesticks in my garage that I give to my friends when they break theirs but I wont give up my whips.
    Bottom line if I had a pick-up thats how I would mount my antenna. I mounted my antenna on my semi basically the same way.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i run whip antenna off the side of the bumper on drivers side. its a 5'
    gets nice reception. and ive been warned it wold get snagged when offroad, but it hasnt done it yet [knock on wood]

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter