Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting a MSD ignition box inside cab...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, Im thinking about upgrading to a MSD ignition and im not sure about the future with my rig, if it will still be DD or trail only. So To make things easier, I was thinking about mounting my ignition inside the cab, by the tranny hump. Has anyone done this before? Im doing this because if it does turn into a trail only rig, I dont have to rewire it into the cab later and so I dont have to worry about it getting wet in the mud. Pics would be great /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

That's a really good idea, to keep it away from the heat of the engine compartment, out of water, mud, goo.

I think MSD sell's a harness just for this reason, just longer, still plug's in like the rest of it doe's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Do they? Do you no how much it would cost? Thanks

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok....not to high jack..but how does an MSD system actually work? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

it works by sending multiple sparks to the plug at rpm under 3k (i think its 3k) and helps w/ complete fuel burn. Also lets you open gap up on plugs for more power. Just installed mine (underhood) today, got more throttle response, and i opened my plug gap up to .060 from .045.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine is under the hood, it has gotten really dirty with no issues.

I'm putting it inside though, behind the glovebox, and next to the ECM when I go EFI.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If your going to the trouble of mounting it inside, mount it higher than the trans hump. Like behind the glovebox or something like Tim said...

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Yep what Blazerguy said, pull the cardboard glovebox liner and see if it will fit behind there, no feet/boot's will be pulling on or yarding out wiring that way. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Good thinking, last thing I need is someone accidently smashing a brand new ignition. Thanks for the repplies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif