Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mounting an antenna to the removable top..

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 5150_BEAST, Dec 30, 2005.

1. 5150_BEAST

5150_BEAST Registered Member

ive been dealing with cb radios for 5 years now but now im in a bind of where to mount the antenna with the least amount of deflection...i thought about mounting it as far back as possible dead center above the rear bumper like i always have with past trucks, but mounting to the fiberglass top...do any cb experts have any ideas on grounding or mount ideas?,most the guys i talk to have never mounted an antenna to a fiberglass top...any input would be greatly appreciated as im digging out the big drill bits and marking a place to drill a hole in the top:hack:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have mine dead center of the steel roof .

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is this for your 79 ??? I mounted a 102" with heavy duty spring on a light bar on the roof of the 76 K5 I had. Ran a ground strap to one of the topper bolts. Worked pretty well if I do say so myself.

4. 5150_BEAST

Antenna Mounting

well i used to "tee hunt" and want to do it again and for the best directional readings you mount the antenna as far back and centered so my question would be would i be safe mounting it on the glass top and just running a big ground strap from it to the frame? the reason i ask is i know glass,and fiberglass have a real bad deflection problem and hinders signal output

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. 5150_BEAST

antenna mounting....

naw man....that thing looks just plain stupid....gonna stick with the tried and proven,smackin cars when i turn a corner fast simple as poo 102" steel whip:saweet:

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

If you want it to be directional, then go for mounting it in the fiberglass. Just be sure and make a good brace for the mount so it won't crack the fiberglass. Then you will need to make a new groundplane. The easiest way is to use metal tape. (like what is used for AC ducts etc) Run several strips along the inside of the top from the underside of the mount.