Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting Another fuel tank inbetween frame rail

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok, Im starting my winter projects. I have started collecting all the parts to add second and third under belly tanks to my 92 pickup. The 88+ 2500's have a single 34 gallon tank mounted in the frame rail.

I've looked under there, and the left and right side look identical- Other than a lil pesky exhaust. Exhaust aside, I should be able to fit a duplicate tank its place. (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG!)

I also have a K5 fuel tank to add into where the "spare tire" area. The long bed should clear the axle without any problems.

Anyone see any potential issues with this? I was just going to route the exhaust out the outer side of the frame.

2. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

Use the blazer or a suburban tank,but get one that has the fule pump in the tank, that way you wont have a 'in line fuel pump'
    Not sure if the sending unit will work properly with the gauges you have in your truck now,
    But you wil be the first to know !!

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Got one of those. - but I also got another in the frame rail like my stock one. I guess I'll be the first to find out! lol....

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I have no input other than...is this the same tank you needed "right now"? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yep. One and the same! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Im using that one, as well as another one I won on ebay for the 88-98 GM long bed pickups. This is so next time, I have enough fuel for the full round trip down to VA. lol.

that will be.. about 60 gallons or so of vegetable.. good for about 1200 miles- Or about 800 miles with the camper. Havent really figured out my fuel economy with it yet.

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

THats just too cool what you figured out how to do with what would be otherwise junk oil like that.