Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting Big Tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 12, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Where do you all go to have larger tires mounted and balanced? And what does it usually cost?

I recently had a set of 38x15.50-15 Swamper Radials mounted on 15x12 wheels at a local tire shop for $50 (not balanced). They know me pretty well there, so I get frequent customer "deals" once in a while.

Now I need to get a set of 18.5/44-15 Gumbo Mudders mounted on 15x14 wheels, but I don't know if they'll want me to bring them in.

What sort of balancing machine does it take to balance 44's?

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had schwabies mount and balance a set of 38.5 / 14.5 SX's for $40 a peice, but i had to take them off cause they wont touch anything with a body lift, for liability.

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I always mount them myself with a couple of really big screwdrivers. I lube up the tire bead then slowly work my way around with the "irons." I'm not sure about balancing because mine aren't.

Will

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I've done that before with 16.5's, but the last 15" I tried doing myself I think I gave up on, and it was only like a 31x10.50R15 .

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

We just use a can of starting fluid and a match /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Bigger tires are easier to get on the rim than smaller ones. I've mounted a bunch of BFG 35x12.5x15 Mud-Terrains on 15x10 steel wheels right on the floor of the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Lube 'em up good then start working the tire onto the wheel. I can usually get the tire on the wheel by just jumping up and down a bit right near where the bead is sliding over the wheel. Work your way around until the inner bead pops around the wheel, then start on the outer bead. I can mount one in under 2 minutes now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The radials are easy, but bias ply tires like he is talking about are a bitch. They'll go, you need to put a little ass behind them, though. I've done some big tires on my machine and I've got to say Swampers are hard to streach.

8. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

You should send Shaggy or Savage1. They've used bee-bee's or mouse balls (computer mouse)...

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Most people I know that run 38's and up have em powder balanced at a shop that does tractor trailer tires. The shop usually has machines big enough to mount em too.

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I sold the 38's I had with the BB's. It took 2 guys with a crow bar each to mount my 42's. It was pretty easy once we got the system down. I used Equal to balance them, they do pretty good up to 70mph. To seat the bead I used a ratcheting strap to squeeze the tire onto the rim. Most places wouldn't even touch that big of a tire, and the ones that would wanted around $150.00... **** that, I did it myself.

11. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

TRY A BIG RIG TIRE STORE

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I always wondered about that becaue someone told me a long time ago but how is it done? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Buy Hummer wheels, then they're easy to install. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>