Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting bumpers after a body lift

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WD Steeves, Apr 12, 2002.

1. WD Steeves

WD Steeves Registered Member

I have a 72 K5 and it has a 4" suspesion lift and a 3" body lift.I would like to mount the bumpers back up to the body height.I have a few idea's on doing it ,but I was wondering what others on this board have done in this situation.Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

2. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Most people fabricate offset brackets to reposition the bumpers , just keep in mind that any impact against the bumper will tend to force it up and not straight back into the frame where it is most effective. Each application is different but some options are, if clearance allows, welding a tubular steel section on top of the existing framerails, bolting the bumper brackets to these and then welding a tubular section between each to tie them together for rigidity. Again, lots of variables due to space limitations. I would try to use at least 2x4 rectangular tubing if possible. You'd be surprised what you can do if you get creative. Hope this helps. Good luck. Gary

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you can find a wrecked frame get the firts 8 inches or so of frame rail off of each side and weld it in place to the existing rails. You may have to cut part of the added rails lengthwise to accomadate the right height but it can be done and it will be strong if done right. If you use a winch it will hold good that way. To decorate and hide the original rails make a steel roll pan to cover it all and it looks nice and is effective.

John