Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting Crossmember question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Sep 22, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

I just installed my rebuilt th350. Trying to put the crossmember back on. Total of 8 bolts. Two upper frame each side and 2 lower frame each side. The upper frame bolts have the body literally sitting on them. Trying to position the crossmember to attach to all four bolts(upper 2 ea side) is damn near impossible. Its almost as if the frame spread apart slightly when I originally took the crossmember off to pull the tranny and t-case. Has anyone run into this problem?. The shop I had my tranny rebuilt at. Told me the frame has a little flex in it? I should just try to jimmy or torque the top part of the frame in a little. While having someone or two guys push the crossmember onto the bolts. Twist the frame?:( This sounds crazy to me. Is this possble? All I need is aprrox 1/8 to 1/4 inch to line the bolts to the holes. Any suggestions out there? Mucho appreciones. Doing this by myself so far. Lot of cursing and lot a beer. By the way th350 tranny and np203 t-case 73k5.
    James

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Use what is called a "come along" or basicly do what you alllready been told.
    I'v read this happens with crossmembers and you have to force them a litle. Hell, when I twist down in a ditch, the roof pops. These things are jiglywigly all over.!!

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

3. James

James 1/2 ton status

Espen,
    You read my mind. Thats exactly what I was thinking. Just somehow need to attach the cum-a-long to the top part of the frame. So the top will come in slightly. Limited room for this. I'll figure out somehow.
    Thanks
    James

4. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

You could also try to use a hi-lift as a clamp if you have one.

HTH

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

5. James

James 1/2 ton status

Thats a thought. Never used a hi lift. So I am assuming you can apply pressure the opposite direction. Down as well as up. Most jacks only apply pressure up. No pressure when closing. Hmmmm. May have a valid reason to go buy a Hi lift. My wifes gonna kill me. Just another necessary tool though.
    Peace

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

James, here's another suggestion. Do you know any woodworkers? I've used clamps before that slide on pipe that's about 1 1/2" thick. The sections of pipe screw together to give you the length you need, then you just tighten the clamp as normal. There mostly used when joining frames for windows or larger furniture projects. Good luck.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those are called 'Pony clamps' (brand name I guess). They're handy but work best on flat stuff. I think the come-along is the best idea. You could also use a small pin punch as an alignment tool. Put the punch through as much of the bolt hole as you can and tweak it over until the other hole is lined up, then put in your first bolt. This all depends on how much access you have to the hole.

Just my 2 bits

Rene

[​IMG]

8. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Rene, sounds good, the only thing with the come-along is that it has hooks on the ends (that's if we're thinking about the same thing). And you'll have to do some real rigging to get them to hold some how. Actually the pin punch is a good idea, but you'd need something longer to provide some real leverage to get the frame to flex for a bit.
    Here's the clamps I'm refering to, they actually look smaller than the ones I've used in the past. The pipe diameter is smaller on these, but they might work, just a thought[​IMG]
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Category.taf?CategoryID=157

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

9. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

35 bucks at Gebo's for a hi-lift. it comes with an adjustable clamp foot at the top of the jack. FWIW I've used mine as a huge vise to hold together tubing while welding. It works great. I think it would be perfect for this application. Just take off the handle so it will fit under the truck when you clamp it onto the frame.

just my two cents,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

10. James

James 1/2 ton status

Everybody,
    Thanks. That was my thinking as far as the cum-a-long. the hooks on the end of the cable. Very limited room to around or into the holes of the frame. Can't go into the bolt holes. Obviously gets in the way. The hi lift sounds good. Been wanting one anyways ;). Besides I'll just tell the wife thats what it was made for:) hehe. Until she sees me jacking up the k5 oneday.
    Thanks guys
    James

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The clamps I use at work (pony clamps) are the same more or less as the ones you're talking about. They use the 3/4" pipe and have a lot of clamping power. They also weigh a lot less than a hi-lift!!

I would loop some small chain around the frame and put a bolt through the chain. If you do this on both sides you have something easy to hook the come-along to.

Rene

[​IMG]