Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mounting doubler need advice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrider_44s, Jul 28, 2004.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i was looking for ideas for a crosmember to mount a doubler any ideas /designs maby some pics /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    any info would be great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i would like to see some skid plate mounts how about it guy's let's see your pics

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Check out the 4x4Iron site, there are pics of some of their stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

thought i would start this one up again ? 4x4 iron doesn't make a skidplate/cross member anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif they have had trouble with producing anything lately and now after along wait for them they now tell me they will not be making them anymore because "it is a waste of time".
    they have been put on the map per say and put on many sites for there doubler crossmembers and now they tell me there is two much work to do it. they went as far as to say it takes half the time to make one compared to there bumpers. there bumpers run for approx. 600.00 and they charged 375.00 for the crossmember sounds to me they made more money.
    don't really understand companies like this. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

so to the real question how to make a skidplate/crossmember for my 77 k-5. please i know this has been many topics before but i need help and pics. even past theads. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ORD has some pics on there site of skid plate/crossmembers...

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man that sucks!! that was my basis for going with the dubbler, their crossmembers looked great!! oh well

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

you could always save the pictures off of 4x4iron, and take it to a fabshop near you and get them to do one simular in design for you /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. nvrenuf

Shortly after I posted the suggestion to contact 4x4Iron I bought a Doubler so I emailed them about a crossmember. I had the same experience you did, they basically said yeah it's on the site but it's not worth it so we don't make it anymore. Just a big fat "oh well". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Knock on wood, there are lot's of other skilled fabricators here so I'll still be able to source a crossmember, I'll just have to save pics and maybe make some drawings.

9. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

i wish the companies that make it on colorado k-5 just stood up to what they sell and do. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

i have gotten screwed by alot of these companies from this site. but this by far is the worst. the other companies at least work with you this one actually laughed on the phone at me and how by his words made more money making cross members than bumpers in less time, but still is just a waste of time. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

come on people where are all the cross member shots at. i now there is better ideas out there than 4x4 irons. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have gotten screwed by alot of these companies from this site. but this by far is the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you got "screwed" by 4X4 Iron. They have a good reputation and build quality products at a relatively affordable price. They recently moved the shop and have scaled back production of all of the products they build for now, you call to order, and he honestly tells you he can't make the crossmember right now (they have that right, you know). Thats getting "screwed"? Come on dude, it isn't like you ordered the crossmember, and several months later he tells you they won' make it, he let you know up front. WTF? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have a stock xmember under my 465-203 adapter, and it looks as though I can use another stock xmember on the mounting foot of the doubler adapter. It may be a little narrow for the frame, but that can be easily addressed. FYI, I got the 2" clocked adapter and only 4" lift, without either one of these things, I have a feeling I would have front dshaft to front xmember clearance issues. Best thing about this setup if it works, its darn near free and little if any fabrication involved.

12. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    i wish the companies that make it on colorado k-5 just stood up to what they sell and do. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

i have gotten screwed by alot of these companies from this site. but this by far is the worst. the other companies at least work with you this one actually laughed on the phone at me and how by his words made more money making cross members than bumpers in less time, but still is just a waste of time. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

come on people where are all the cross member shots at. i now there is better ideas out there than 4x4 irons. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. I'll say that my experience with them was disappointing but I don't feel screwed since I never waited for a product or anything. I will say I think they (4x4Iron) should update their site so their advertised products are more accurate. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I've always had good experiences with the vendors from this site. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Get used to it man. It's all about the almighty dollar. I'm going through the same thing with my Harley. I'm trying to find some different exhaust pipes for my 1968 FLH. There is maybe 1 or 2 companies that make anything for it and there is no variety really. But if I had a newer bike with an Evo motor it would take me days to sort through all the possibilities. Can't seem to talk KidJethro into making me something cool either /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif j/k

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

2 stock crossmembers can work pretty easily, we build our adapter feet to the same bolt pattern as the NP203 so that you can use a stock crossmember.
    Past that, check out the pics in our crossmember section, there's some good ideas for high clearance jobs there.

For strength and convenience, it's hard to beat the stock crossmembers, they just hang down a little lower than a custom fabbed version.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Guys that do make your own crossmembers, make sure they're strong enough. The one me and laketex made for Krazie87K5 got all bent up because we apparently didn't make it strong enough. Thought the steel was thick enough, but a doubler has WAY more torque than we even realized.

I'm with Watson on this one. Run the stockers unless you're SURE of what you're doing!!!