Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mounting fairlead

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 31, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i just got to looking at how i can mount a fairlead as i was just about to make the order and it looks as if i cant mount one...all there is is a 12" x 2" opening with no bolt holes or anything to mount one...you can almost see what i mean in the pic...is there anything i can do to put one on or do something to the opening, perhaps sand the burs down to smooth, to protect the winchline? it almost looks as if the winch were made to fit to this bumper...i believe its a RAMSEY so maybe its made for one of their winches..or is it supposed to be like this?

Picture 043.jpg

2. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

does that bumper require one? are the edges around the opening rounded off and smooth or are the just cut out with sharp edges?

3. NEK5

it looks as if they were rounded off but have some burrs on the from the metal cable....should i just smooth it down?

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

5. NEK5

not sure but i`ll check....i dont think a fairlead can be mounted on it...if the edges aren`t like that, can i take an angle grinder and do that then use some sandpaper to smooth it?

6. NEK5

it has the straight edges...any ideas???should i do the thing with the angle grinder?

7. NEK5

ok well i dont think its possible to mount a fairlead onto my bumper...so what should i do??use the angle grinder and round and smooth out the opening?

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Can't tell if there's something sticking out in front of the bumper on the driver side by the light, but if there isn't, it looks like the original opening might fit a Hawse fairlead, so if you used synthetic winch line it might work.

If not, I'd find a roller fairlead and try a test fit before I ruled out whether one would or wouldn't work. If one would fit side to side and there were places to bolt it to the bumper, I'd cut the top out of the existing hole, smooth the sides and drill bolt holes using the roller fairlead as a guide for attachment to the bumper.

If a roller fairlead wouldn't have enough room to bolt on either side and a Hawse wouldn't work either, I'd angle grind the existing hole until it was rounded on the edges then smooth those edges out with a bunch of flap discs on the grinder, making sure lots of beer was involved for the time you'd spend on it. Flap discs would do fine smoothing it out once you've used the grinder to get the roughed rounded curve.

9. NEK5

the thing sticking out of the driverside is the old cable.....there arent any bolt wholes and the opening is about 12 inches long by 2 inches...do they even make a fairlead that big??? it looks like i might be using the grinder:eek1:

10. NEK5

i`m not sure who makes the bumper...whn i got it ,it had ramsey stickers on it...any idea?

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

2 inches high is good, but it's too long for the hawses I've seen. Maybe you just ought to get a plate cut with the opening dimensions you need and bolt it over the existing hole, then bolt the fairlead (whichever you use) to the new plate.

12. NEK5

well i`ve been told i can use a roller fairlead if its new...so my question now is....do they mount using the upper winch mount bolts???can you maybe post a link of ones that do?
    TIA

BIGBEN

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here is how mine is you can see that the bolts pretty much center on the opening for the cable
    [​IMG]

Mine is a little crooked too.:crazy:

Ira

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Rollers and non rollers pretty much mount the same way. If you are gonna have to bolt a plate up then bolt the fairlead to the plate it is prolly cheaper to go with a non roller. You can see in my pic that the fairlead does not mount to the winch mount bolts. I think only the 8274 fairlead mounts with the winch.

Ira

15. NEK5

does the 8274 fit the m12k....and what does it look like???link?

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The 8274 is a winch. It is somewhat old school and only 8K but they are not planetary drive so they are super strong. The mounting width of an 8274 is the same width as a fairlead mount. If you do a search on here there are quite a few guys that run them here specifically Bozo has one with pics in his why dont these mods ever stop thread.

Ira

17. NEK5

so no one makes a roller fairlead that i can use the upper mount bolts to mount it?

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Not sure sorry. Maybe try the milemaker or warn site.

Ira

19. NEK5

how does the fairlead mount on the 8274...i couldnt seem to find the pics

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It mounts to 2 of the mounting bolts for the winch. On an 8274 the winch mounts to the front of the bumper where the fairlead is attached not to the bottom of the bumper.

Ira