Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting hummers on DRW hubs? Center doesnt fit...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 18, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

PIC #1 - shows the hub without the rim on it:
    [​IMG]

PIC #2 - shows the rims sitting on the hub... and shows how the hub doesn't fit in the center of the rim:
    [​IMG]

Anyone out there know if its standard practice to have to ream out the rims to get them to fit over the hubs? Its off by a VERY small amount... I could just woller out the hole a little bit... but I was hoping that there was a better solution... All help appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

2. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dan, I had no problem mounting my 12 bolt style hummer rims on my GM D60 Dually Hub. What kind of Dually Hub is it that you are trying to fit it on? I have access to an 8 bolt Hummer rims. I will see if there is a difference in the hub opening.

3. KRAZIE87K5

Its a FORD DRW hub... from a late 70's F350 AFAIK. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Dan

4. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Dan
    Yes that is common.
    The wheels have to trimmed for the dodge axles also.
    You could also turn down the hubs. ( two hubs versus 4 wheels).
    Also check the rear depending on what axle you are running you may have the same problem.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd have the hubs turned down slightly...

Rene

6. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Arent most lugs self centering? If so, wouldnt the lip on the hubs be unnecessary? Sure, they might make it easier to get the wheel close to center when mounting, but necessary?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Arent most lugs self centering? If so, wouldnt the lip on the hubs be unnecessary? Sure, they might make it easier to get the wheel close to center when mounting, but necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those lips on the hubs ARE necessary. They hold the lockout hubs to the proper distance and keep them from sliding in and out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd have the hubs turned down slightly...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. If there were no machine shop nearby, and to cut down on costs, I would take them to any rotor/drum turning shop and have them turn the hubs slightly. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

AHA, got bit by the ford curse yet again!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Damn Newbie!! j/k

When talking to "old timers" ie:(wheelers from the '80s), when they would buy new wheels, they would always buy Ford wheels. The center hole is larger on the Ford. If they ever needed to sell the wheels, they had a more "sale-able" product.

Bit by the Ford bug again.....heh,heh,heh.

11. KRAZIE87K5

All good in the end. I'll just ream a little outta the center on these hummers... machining the hubs sounds too much like time, money and WORK. Screw that.

Oh, and Todd.... [​IMG] You're coming out to the 8th right? (we hope so anyways...) we'll see how my rig does with its new upgrades! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey man, actually machining the hub will be much less work, time and money. Do like they said, take it to any parts store that does brake rotors. Look at it this way, what if later you decide to go with a different rim with same offset. Then its grind time again!

Do the hubs so its a one time thing. Make sure you locking hub also fits just to be sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

no kidding....I was thinking reaming the centers of the rims out sounded insane compared to how easy doing the hubs would be...but dammit Neil, I wanted to watch him try to ream the wheels out himself. I cherish the comedy I get out here in Yankeeville watching Yankees do stuff backasswards....You're messing up my fun time! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey man, actually machining the hub will be much less work, time and money. Do like they said, take it to any parts store that does brake rotors. Look at it this way, what if later you decide to go with a different rim with same offset. Then its grind time again!

Do the hubs so its a one time thing. Make sure you locking hub also fits just to be sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure? All that need to be done is to open the center of the hummer rim up from ~4" an additional 1/16-1/8"!!! What makes that so difficult?

No brake shop is going to turn down the actual HUB for me... they would freak out! I can hear it already... no we CAN'T DO THAT! Thats not what the machine is for!!!

If I get it done, I need to take it to the "real" machine shop here in town, and let them charge me out the bunghole. Not to mention, it will probably take them a day or two to get it done (they're always back logged)!

Perhaps I missed something? I can't argue too much. I know it would be "better" to have them turned, but I don't think it will be less time consuming or cheaper to have the hubs machined at all, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
    no kidding....I was thinking reaming the centers of the rims out sounded insane compared to how easy doing the hubs would be...but dammit Neil, I wanted to watch him try to ream the wheels out himself. I cherish the comedy I get out here in Yankeeville watching Yankees do stuff backasswards....You're messing up my fun time!

[/ QUOTE ]

And as for you... I'm gonna take a leak in your 465 when I get home! Glad I can entertain you! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

maybe if you got a scotch brite pad and got all the rust off them, it'd fit like a glove? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. KRAZIE87K5

Whatever faaawker - You got a chip on your shoulder today. Go get laid, until then... I don't wanna talk to you. BASTID. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

GOTCHA /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Whatever faaawker - You got a chip on your shoulder today. Go get laid, until then... I don't wanna talk to you. BASTID. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    You two sound like an old married couple....and I don't want to know who is the husband or wife! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

DAN IS MY BITCH. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Good, and you're mine. Come grind my '60 or something. It's been waiting since July when I bought it man. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif