Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mounting hydro ram bracket to the diff cover...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 1, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok, like many peeps with a D60 that want to run a hydro ram I have found that the factory steering stabalizer mount is just a little to close to the drivers side for the ram to fit well there. I'd rather not cut off said mount and relocate it if at all possible. That said, I was wondering what u guys thought of welding the mounting brackets to the diff cover. Its the standard factory steel cover, and I run a rons custom shop diff guard on it. Would said cover be strong enough? anyone doing this? If the cover can handle it, it looks to be the best place to mount the ram... way up high and out of the way! anyway, whatdya guys think? if any1 has done this, have a pic? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif thanks in advance!

J

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Steve welded his to an Avalanche Rock ring/guard on the UAV, you can see pics there. I just cut the mount off and welded to housing...

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, but steve had a rock rings beef to work with... I was wondering about the stock cover. Oh well, maybe I should just cut the factory deal off...

J

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That's what I would do (obviously).

Seems like I saw that someone mounted to a D60 (heavy) cover, but I don't remember the details and I have no idea how it would hold up with no other mods. The only way I would attempt it would be if I plated the cover. Something like I plan for mine (and I've seen it done) in the front and back might work out. Basically, plate the lip/bolt area (probably only at the bottom in my case) with strap stock (3/16 - 1/4" or so). Then a strip of 1/4 (2-3" wide) formed to and welded on directly over the ring gear from top to bottom. That would give you something that should be strong enough to weld a hydro tab onto. Probably want to upgrade the bolts too...

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have made several d60 covers with the mount built in. I think you could do it to a stock cover (the one that is 1/8'' thick). The biggest problem would be with the cover warping from the welding. I bolt my covers to a heat sink to prevent warping during manufacturing. The stock cover should be more than strong enough if you weld the brackets down along the bolt flange.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Shops like ORU make brackets that you bolt to the covers and they allow you to mount the ram to the bracket.

From the pictures I have seen, they appear to use about 4 of the cover bolts to hold the bracket. They are also a little longer, of course, to compensate for the thickness of the bracket.

I can't tell, though, if the brackets are machined from billet or if they are just steel pieces cut and welded to form the necessary shape.

You may give ORU a call and see what they have to say about this. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

(When I'm saying "ORU", I'm talking about Off Road Unlimited, not "ORD".)