Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting Limiting Straps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinaire, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Where would be the best place to mount limiting straps (or strap)? I have 5 1/2'' total rear lift with RS9000's mounted in the factory upper position. My K5 leaves the ground often and the weight of my extra trusses and 35''s have just about ripped my upper shock mounts off. Would I be better off with one strap in the center of the diff. or one next to each shock? With one in the center it would support the axle when both wheels leave the ground, but still allow full flex, but the possibility of shock overextension when flexing is still there. Can't quite figure it out. Where have you guys mounted yours?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I would use TWO (2) straps per axle, for a total of 4...I would mount them to the frame DIRECTLY above the axle housing...If they were behind the axle or in front, I could see the axle becoming twisted as it would be pulled from the front on the right hand side and the rear on the left side...I would have the straps stop the axle just before the shock is at full extension, this way you won't kill your shocks...If you have super flexy suspension and your shocks are you limiting factor, I would relocate your rear shocks and get the F*rd shock brackets for the front...then I would get limiting straps based on the new shocks for your high flying antics...

Chris