Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting M1008 front bumper on my burb? new ? in 1st post

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JIMs70K25, Dec 11, 2005.

1. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Picked up front and rear bumpers from a M1008 today. Everythings there, will I need to drill some holes for the shackle mounts? Will I need to modify anything else?
    Wasn't planning on using the rear, but if I did use it what would I have to modify for it to fit? I know the receiver hitch would have to go, anything else?

What size are the shackles (screw pin anchor shackles) used with these bumpers? The largest I have is 7/8" and it's too small. The 1" shackles I found are rated at 8.5 tons!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  2. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

I don't want to give you the wrong answers to your questions so I'll let someone do that who's familiar with the burbs. I just want to say that IMO the CUCV bumpers are scrap.. I ripped mine off a while back. They just hang down low like any stock bumper and the grill guard is pretty weak but it's better than nothing I guess. The shackle mounts are decent. I kept those for now, although I bent one with a real hard jerk.(broke the old military shackle in half too lol) The pintle hook is stronger. I kept mine for now and use that as the recovery point. Hopefully you can see in this pic how I cut my rear bumper. I don't like how low it hangs down but it works fine for now and is a step to get into the bed :)

HPIM0330.JPG

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

From what I can tell for the rear my gas tank would have to be dropped. I'm more interested in the front, my current bumper is bent and twisted so this is more just to have a straight bumper.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

5. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I'm going to put mine on this weekend.

6. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I put a front bumper on my truck, the shackle points are nice, but other than that -- same as a stock bumper. I ruined mine in 1 trip.

7. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Got it on today. looks good, I'll take some pics tomorrow.

8. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

ttt for new question

9. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Not sure of the size or if they even make a screw pin style shackle that fits perfectly. Here's a pic of what I've got for shackles. The shackle on the left is what these trucks come with and it's not the screw pin style. The one on the right I just had laying around, its not screw pin either and the pin is smaller than the mount's hole but whos cares? It's hard to find cucv shackles.

HPIM0343.JPG

10. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

86Cucvbeater, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what are the specs on your rig?

11. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

86Cucvbeater ... could you povide me with a side shot of the mounting for the front tow shackles ... I want to make a set like that for mine

12. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

they mounting is simialr to a civvy bumper bracket except it extends out 1.25" to clear the square channel and use the two holes in the frame, that are not used in a civvy bumper. Also, their's two spacers to help with the two original bolts. if that makes sense.