Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mounting master cylinder belly up.(UPDATE!!)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, May 28, 2002.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 that i just finaly finished installing, i think, a 465 w/hydrolic clutch set up. well the 72 does not have the same firewall setup as the 73+. so i just installed the clutch master belly up so it'd hook up with the pedal.

anyone see a problem with mounting it belly up, that is with the high pressure output on top and the low pressure on bottom. other than having a hard time purging it.

ARQ.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: mounting master cylinder belly up.

Aren't you talking about the slave cylinder? The master cylinder mounts on the firewall and the slave cylinder mounts to the bellhousing. I know you said the firewalls are different so that would make me think you are talking about the master cylinder but what do you mean by belly up? If you are referring to upside down you could not put fluid in it. I guess I am confused as to what you are referring too.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I cant picture what he did either but the reservoir is remote

4. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I got confused just reading this. Is the clutch cylinder upside down?

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

OK, let me clarify this a bit. sorry if i gave you all a headache tring to picture this.
    The GM clutch master cylinder came with the reservoir inlet on top, that is when mounted on the firewall.
    The high pressure side outlet; the one that goes to the slave cylinder, when mounted, was on the bottom.
    due to the difference in firewalls on -72 and 73+. i mounted the master cylinder to the firewall with the reservoir inlet on bottom and the highpressure outlet on top.

ARQ.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I dont see why it wouldn't work as long as the reservoir is mounted above the top of the assemply, there aren't any check valves in it. Might have to get it power bled though.

Heck, you already mounted it... how does it work? Hahah!

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it's on there but still need those minor details. tighten hoses, bleed, fluid, etc. can't really do much right now, just got my WT tooth pulled and its hurtn a bit. doc said 2-3 days of rest. i rested about 1/2 hour under my blazer puting the stuff in. doc did not say where to rest/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

ARQ.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you have problems bleading the system with it mounted like that, then try reverse bleading it. Get one of those pusher pumps and push the fluid from the slave to the master.

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Why not just fab up some bracketry to MAKE the firewall simulate the different year that you need? That way you run the Clutch MC the way it was designed to and save yourself a headache in trying to get it to bleed and work correctly