Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting "Oh SH!T" Bars on the A-Pillars??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ford_assassin, Jan 19, 2004.

1. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

Mounting \"Oh SH!T\" Bars on the A-Pillars??

Hey guys, I just removed my stupid (and broken) running boards from my Blazer. The truck is lifted 4" so after my 4 knee surgeries it now has become alittle harder getting in the truck. I am not interested in putting another set of running boards, or step, etc.

Instead I would like to install a pair of "oh sh!t" bars on the A-pillars to help me into the truck. Plus the "better-half" has been suggesting I install a pair ever since she first climbed into it, especially with a skirt on.

So, has anyone else mounted something to the A-pillars like this? If so, I am highly interested in the mounting details so I don't go into the install totally blind.

Thanks guys!!

EDIT: I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ANY OTHER INFO OTHER THAN THE INSTALLATION OF HANDLE BARS ON MY A-PILLARS. IN OTHER WORDS, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE INSTALLATION OF A ROLL BAR/CAGE, ANOTHER TYPE OF RUNNING BOARD, NERF BARS, OR STEP FOR MY RIDE. THANX.

2. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Re: Mounting \"Oh SH!T\" Bars on the A-Pillars??

Good question... subscribing! My wife wants me to put some "oh sh!t handles" on my K5 so that it's easier for her to get in and out. Especially for after I lift it soon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like a perfect excuse to install a rollcage..... you'll have great mounting points for as many handles as you feel like welding on!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a perfect excuse to install a rollcage..... you'll have great mounting points for as many handles as you feel like welding on!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, that's the best advice I've recieved yet! Now I know how to ensure lady bog can get in easily. Stepped sliders and a roll cage with a handle!

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I haven't figured out how to do so without worrying about if they can tear the metal. Plus, they'd have to be pretty big for hands the size of mine. The "oh [darn]" handles found above your head on S10 Blazers would be really nice. Again, I don't know how to make the roof strong enough to take a 250lb person hoisting themselves up on it. It'd be easy if I didn't care what it looked like but I do.

6. ford_assassin

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A roll cage is alot of coin, especially for a rig that is 95% daily-driver.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A roll cage is alot of coin, especially for a rig that is 95% daily-driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

$300 or your life, you choose.

I've already rolled once and learned my lesson and counted my blessings that I was lucky and didn't need a cage that time.

Is YOUR life worth $300 to you? How about your occupants, wife, kids, whoever?

If they made a pre-made roll cage for my dd, I'd probably install one.

Either way, it's cheap insurance, I can't wait to get mine installed.

8. ford_assassin

[ QUOTE ]
    $300 or your life, you choose.

I've already rolled once and learned my lesson and counted my blessings that I was lucky and didn't need a cage that time.

Is YOUR life worth $300 to you? How about your occupants, wife, kids, whoever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please!! Drama Queen are we??

If we were talking about a total trail toy or something like that, I could see your point.

However, I already stated that my rig is 95% daily-driver (did you even read that part earlier?). Even then the other 5% is twice a year trip to the beach tunes and the rest is a dry river bottom once and a blue moon. Not very dangerous or close to rolling over. Besides, K5 Blazer's already have a roll bar built-in. Given that it isn't anything compared to a aftermarket cage, but it will do the job.

I am VERY interested in finding the place you speak of that will install a cage for $300 parts and labor. In fact, the cage kits alone cost $300+ (min) plus the truck freight your place, then you have to worry about the installation. I am personally not a great welder enough to "do it yourself roll cage" and I highly doubt many others on this site are either.

Forgive me for coming off alittle short, but I get alittle tired when I ask a very specific question and I get more suggestions about what I should do instead. Its like I have to start the post with a list of things I will NOT do. To make things even worse is I already shot down the first suggestion about the 'cage and come back with "$300 or your life" statement.

In other words, if you don't have an answer, just another suggestion to my original posted question, don't bother answering it at all.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I feel I must apologize in behalf of Timmay. He's just a kid with good intentions, but a big mouth and no real-world experience. Just ignore him, the rest of us do. And for the record, if you've ever chopped the top of a half cab off, you'll see that the stock roll bar is pretty damn beefy. I feel pretty comfortable with it until i get to the point to do a cage, so I hear ya man.

I've got a couple of grab handles I plan to mount in mine in the meantime as well. My wife is 5'3", and I've also got a big ass friend that rides along now and then. They both bitch and moan about getting in the truck. My seats suck ya in pretty good, but entry is a prob. So I got a couple of these and will mount them to the A pillars.

http://www.austinhardware.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=59&pf%5Fid=767

Main grab handle page:
    http://www.austinhardware.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=59

I plan on mounting mine with self tapping screws. Anyways, HTH,

Bryan

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I put this in my truck
    [​IMG]
    Its a handicapped grab bar for a shower, we bought our house from an older lady who had them installed. I took them down and saved em when I did some work in the bathroom. It ain't pretty; I was going for function, not form on this one.

I put it in with some #10 sheetmetal screws. They weren't strong enough and kept pulling out of the sheetmetal so I put some squares of 2x4 behind the dash and sandwiched the dash. It's as strong as a Greek's breath. The crap around the rings is silicon that I used to hold the rings on, they kept popping off.

After my experience with the dash, I doubt you will be able to put any kind of handles on the A pillar without welding some kind of plate to it. There is no way to get inside the pillar to reinforce it. Regular screws, no matter what size, will probably pull out when you put any real weight on em. The only thing that might work would be toggle bolts, the knid that fold up to go in a hole and then open up and distribute the force evenly over a wider area.

As far as the actual handles, just wander around a hardware store like Home Depot, I'm sure you'll find something.

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You know, I guess I must be in a bad mood today because posts like this don't make sense.

Your post heading asks for Oh [darn] handles, but you say you never leave the pavement. What kind of "oh [darn]" situation would require you to grab a handle on the a-pillar? I mean, weaving in and out of cars at the Mall is typically a little taxing at times, but the only time "Oh [darn]" comes to mind is when you ACTUALLY TAKE THE K5 OFF ROAD! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

EDIT: IM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING A REPLY FROM YOU BECAUSE QUITE FRANKLY, I DONT GIVE A [darn].

12. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, I guess I must be in a bad mood today because posts like this don't make sense.

Your post heading asks for Oh [darn] handles, but you say you never leave the pavement. What kind of "oh [darn]" situation would require you to grab a handle on the a-pillar? I mean, weaving in and out of cars at the Mall is typically a little taxing at times, but the only time "Oh [darn]" comes to mind is when you ACTUALLY TAKE THE K5 OFF ROAD! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

EDIT: IM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING A REPLY FROM YOU BECAUSE QUITE FRANKLY, I DONT GIVE A [darn].

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Bill

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

oooooohhhhhhh ssssshhhhiiiiitttttt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Mudzer

Actually, he could really bash me because my K5 hasn't left the pavement lately either! Baaahahahaa. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Tweetysuarus

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually, he could really bash me because my K5 hasn't left the pavement lately either! Baaahahahaa. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh! We see now! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Slingin mud where there is no mud! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif!
    I haven't seen off-road in at least 6 months myself so I guess this is where I shut up as well! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Bill

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm going to agree here, if you're in an "oh $h!t" situation, and its really bad enough for the other half to whine about, then you will want a cage. if its not really that bad, then tell her to keep quiet, and go on aobut you're wheeling. either that, or trade her in for a younger model.

17. Mudzer

Well, actually It does not get driven at all unless its to and from trails. I guess I said that wrong. I't hasn't move a-tall!!!

18. Tweetysuarus

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!
    Well to honest my has sat in the driveway for a few weeks now, But as soon as I get my LAZY ARS off the COUCH /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and replace my distributor with the bright new shiny one on the floor I'll be riding again!
    Bill

19. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

I thought his reason for wanting the handles was fairly self explanatory. For easier ingress in lieu of running boards, nerf bars, etc.

Not all of us use our K5's as trail rigs.

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Thank you Tungsten. What he is askin was very satisfactory and very clear. I would think that screwin in some sort of grab handle into the A-pillar should be sufficient to handle gettin into and out of the truck. The problem that I can see is that if your wife is havin a problem gettin into the truck is she gonna be tall enough to reach the A-pillar? (I don't know the stature of your wife so just settle down. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) If ya have a problem with sheet metal screw pullin out you could always weld a nut in the pillar and bolt to that. Good luck to ya in whatever ya do and let us know.

Allan