Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting position of shocks.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jwduke, Nov 30, 2003.

1. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Ok guys......Does it make a difference a difference if you mount the shocks, with the rod up or down? Whats everyone's thoughts on shock boots? I mounted my new front schocks the conventional way, rod up. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

most shocks need to be mounted rod up. High end shocks can be mounted either way. My Bilsteins will be rod down. Lower end shocks it has something to do with the fluid and all they just won't operate properly with rod down. As for boots, I won't run them. With rod up they will let mud sit around the rod and maybe get into the shock and ruin it.

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Alan, these shocks are from Tuff Country (RSX-8000). The mounts could be put in either end. The shocks are not marked as to which end is up. I'm in agreement with you on boots, but wasn't sure. I can never keep the stupid things on. Thanks..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

High end shocks are mono tube, gas pressurized shocks. These shocks do not need to be mounted either way because they have dividing piston between the gas and fluid to keep them from mixing. Cheap shocks arent mono tube and need to be mounted with the body down so they work properly.

Many people with Bilstiens or other mono tube gas pressurized shocks mount the body up so that they have less un sprung weight and less of a chance of the body being damaged off road.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

your RSX-8000s are designed to be body down, they should tell you that kind of stuff. I will be running Bilstein 5150s all the way around, $110 a shock, body is going up and away from danger.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

$110 each? allpro off road has em for $90 each. save some coin bro.

-Jeremy