Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting satellite radio antenna inside the Blazer's fiberglass shell?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 1985_K5_Silverado, Jan 28, 2006.

1. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I was shopping for head units, and will get one that's satellite radio ready.

However, I'm not inclined to mount the satellite antenna outside the Blazer, and was wondering if any other Blazer owners had any experience with mounting the satellite radio antenna inside the Blazer's fiberglass shell. It would be an easy task to fab up a little under-roof mount on the underside of the shell.

My home XM antenna seems to be relatively forgiving as far as having wood in between the satellite and the antenna goes. I'd figure that the fiberglass would also be fairly transparent to the signal, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My XM antenna just sits on the dash and works fine.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They work fine under cover when there are repeaters present . When you are not close enough , you need to be able to see the sky .

My wifes unit will work in the carport outside her work , but in the building it sucks .

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Hmmmm...I think some tests are in order here. No repeaters around where I live and 95% of where I drive. Metal is definatly bad, but snow didn't seem to affect it. My home attennae I mounted in the summer and wasn't really thinking about winter, well turns out the overhang edge I mounted on was just over another part of the roof about 8" under it. Blowing drifting snow all the time. In early decmber, that thing had at least 8"-12" of snow on top of it, and still full 10 bars on the reciever. Same with the car version. Mounted on top of my truck, got 8" snow one night, didn't brush the roof off, before I started down the road (still had 8" of snow on it), worked perfect, 10 bars.
    I really wonder how much fiberglass would effect it.
    I need to find a place to mount mine too, mines a '73 so no metal roof at all, and I have fiberglass body tub and front clip, so I've been pondering where to mount the Sirius antennae. Might have to test it out somehow.

5. 73k5blazer

I made some tests with a piece of line-xed fiberglass I cut out from my side panel (10" diamter hole I cut for the sub-woofer).
    I took the piece out to my C10 where the sat radio is now and had my wife watch the signal meter while I held the piece over the sat. antenna.
    Result: Little effect. I held it about 1/4" above it so it was bloked completely, still 10 bars. Moved it around trying to find where the sirius satellite was at that time to try and directionally block the signal, got it down to 9 bars from 10, but thats all I could do.
    I think it just might work underneath the fiberglass shell.
    The shell is a bit thicker than the piece I had though..so I think more tests are in order. Once the lawn dries out (been raining here very hard) I might drive the C10 in the back to where the hardtop is and take the antenna and put it underneath the top.

6. pauly383

I have since took possesion of my Sirius unit . My antenna is on the metal roof facing forward ( so I guess according to the manual I am driving backwards everywhere LOL ) . With the wire under my windshield gasket . Coming in through the fender and in the hole where the power windows wiring comes out . Can't see the wires it rocks :thumb:

7. 73k5blazer

Proof positive. No effect!!

Drove the C10 into the back. Placed the antenna as far under as I could get it. Zero effect. Still 10 bars.
    Proof positive. K5 Fiberglass top, no effect on Sirius Satellite radio signal. I'd imagine XM is same.

[​IMG]
    That's the antenna there on the right side the printer in the picture. Don't ask about the printer.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  8. pauly383

Thats the same basic one in the wifes car . Ours is a Starmate , in silver and black , same radio different look . We bought the boombox for it for the house too , fits ours and yours . I like it .

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I find it very interesting though, as i can drive through our "deck park tunnel" in downtown Phoenix,,,alittle over 1/4 mile maybe, and never lose the signal, but at times when traveling through town, going under some overpasses, it will lose signal for a split second or so....really weird.

10. pauly383

Ditto , if there is no terrestrial repeater around , I get that too . Not too terribly annoying , not much between home and Scottsdale except a few overpasses .

I was thinking the angle of the satellite , the windows under the top , it could make a difference when mobile during different times of the day in his case .