Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting Shackles On Rear Bumper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Sep 25, 2004.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Now that i have taken my hitch off i have no place to attach a tow rope from behind. I am considering shackles and mounting them on the bumper. What is the best way to do it? Pics?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Dont mount them to your stock bumper, they wont last at all, cut a hole in the bumper and run some square tubing or something in there to attach the shackle to, or you could just build a new bumper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

build a new bumper out of 2x6 tube, then weld some brackets to that to mount to the frame, then bolt, or weld on shackle mounters.

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

yea i think i will go with 4x4 iron.

or i could cut holes in the bumper i have now and run some metal to the frame and out the bumper to put the shackles on.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i thought you ment spring shackles. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif long springs /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

yeah best way if you want to keep your stock bumper is ti run plate through the bumper along the frame, and blot it down the put a hole in it for the shackel /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif