Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting shocks on top of axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I always hear and see guys mounting their shocks on the front and the rear of their rear axle. Is there a reason no one ever mounts them on top of the axle? other than that extra inch or 2 of length? I'm about to relocated my rears and just trying to find the best location for them. I'm planning on doing what Steve did to the UAV but if no one sees anuthing wrong with a top mount maybe I'll go with that. Let me know what you think.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Mine are being mounted on top. I have pictures taken but I need the roll developed yet. I used a spring perch with the shocks mounted side by side. I perfer them up on top just to get them out of the way of things.

<font color=red>Defeat is not being knocked down, it's not getting back up</font color=red> <font color=black>Stand Strong, Stand United</font color=black>
    <font color=orange> 1955 Willy's</font color=orange>

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

See that's what I was thinking about. getting them out of the way. Now when you say side by side are you talking front or rear?

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Top mounts are more likely to break off - they don't take much torsion as well as front or rear mounts - some older Mopars had top mounts from the factory, and they sucked big time.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm running duals per corner. So on the rear is the perch I have the 4 axel tabs mounted and the shocks are placed side by side at the top will be a 2" piece of box. The front I'm leaving them in the stock location for now.

<font color=red>Defeat is not being knocked down, it's not getting back up</font color=red> <font color=black>Stand Strong, Stand United</font color=black>
    <font color=orange> 1955 Willy's</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 55Willy on 09/25/01 01:18 AM.</FONT></P>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mounting the shocks with the mounts sticking out allows the shocks to help counteract wheel hop. (I.e, prevent the axle from rotating wildly back and forth). Most trucks have one shock mounted forward of the axle and the other mounted behind the axle so that one shock is in compression while the other is in rebound when wheel hop starts. If you mount the shocks directly on top of the axle tube, you'll lose the anti-rotational damping.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...