Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting shocks with rod ends

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Apr 20, 2004
    I'm getting new shocks for which I'm fabbing mounts. They use rod ends and I'm wondering if anyone has some installation tips?

I know I need to account for several factors like arc of travel due to suspension movement. Also figure I may need to account for some axle wrap in the rear.

I'm wondering if I need to make spacers for either side of the rod ends between the ends and the tabs. I was thinking the spacers would help provide clearance between the ends and the tabs if they are at angles to each other.

I'm figuring on welding the tabs on the axles so they are perpendicular to the axle tubes. I think especially on the rear this will help with any potential axle wrap; meaning I don't want any axle wrap to damage the shocks.

Any tips or pics would be appreciated.
  2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 10, 2001
    I have 14" travell fox 2.0 ext res shocks for my front with rod ends. I got a handfull of spacers to go with it to make the mounts alittle wider so the shock clears the tabs when it moves some.