Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting speakers on the removable hard top

Discussion in 'Audio' started by kilroy, May 16, 2002.

1. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

I currently have the stock radio and speakers in my 90 Jimmy, and will be upgrading to new head unit and speakers. My question is, has any one mounted speakers in the back of their K5 attaching them to the removable fiberglass top. Mounting on the floor or using the stock side panels just wont work when the K5 is loaded for the trail and or camping. If you have done this please let me know how it worked out and exactly how, were and what size speakers you mounted.
    Thanks

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I'm gettin ready to install some overhead speakers in mine. I am using the bolts to the top front to hold them in place. Working on some home built brackets now. I'll take some pix when I get home. The speakers were made to install on the top inside of vans and trucks. They have a 4-5"speaker with a tweeter in them.

3. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Thanks for the info, and look forward to the pics, but I think I want mine to be further in back near the rear window. I still use my rear bench seat and would like passangers to have quailty sound also.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My idea is to build a bracket that'll bolt down to the same bolts the top bolts on with. Use those boxs made for 6x9's. Like a "L" bracket. Do you understand what I'm getting at ???? Sometimes I have a hard time explaining.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mount them far back. Maybe use something that runs along the roof to conect both sides so you can mount the speakers up high.

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

The ones I'm installing will be up and out of the way. I still use my rear seat also. Still workin on em, tearin down an old '79 jimmy now so time is tight on other projects. I have a week to get this thing outta my drive way per my wife......

7. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Ya I think I understand Z, sounds pretty good. And Mreetz you definitely half to keep the wife happy, let me know when you get the pics. I just had a flash of ignorance, while reading the latest posts. I am going to try to get a roll cage this winter (after the new winch and bumper) if the cage has a rear brace in the back I could mount the speakers from it.
    Anyone done this it should work great (got pics?)

Thanks
    Trampas